Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Engines > V6/I6 Ford Gasoline Engines

Old 08-25-2008, 12:46 PM

tomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud of
oil pressure readings

what psi readings should i expect from my 300-6?

hooking up a mechanical gauge tonight and i don't even know what to expect for numbers. what should it be at start-up? then it builds with rpms/speed, correct?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
blank

Brian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to behold
Not sure about you late model engine guys. My 56 (warmed up) at highway speeds reads around 50-55 PSI. At idle (warmed up) it is a lot less, but I have not noticed just how much less. I think around 25-30 PSI, but not positive.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
Repair Manual--- 93 F150 with 4.9L--- 40-60psi @ 2000rpm.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:14 PM
High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen

TheRoadVirus is a jewel in the roughTheRoadVirus is a jewel in the roughTheRoadVirus is a jewel in the roughTheRoadVirus is a jewel in the rough
When it's cold it'll read higher than when it's warmed up. So don't be all worried when the psi starts dropping, lol.

90' F150 302 5 Spd
MSD Ignition
Hurst Shifter
Longtubes
Old 08-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Skandocious; 08-25-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:27 PM

tomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud oftomtoc has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadVirus View Post
When it's cold it'll read higher than when it's warmed up. So don't be all worried when the psi starts dropping, lol.
gotcha - b/c as the oil warms it gets thinner, right

just making sure i understand oil pressure 101
Old 08-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtoc View Post
gotcha - b/c as the oil warms it gets thinner, right
Affirmative. Oil becomes more viscous as it becomes hotter. This is what the numbers on the oil rating signify (10w30, etc)-- they're viscosity ratings at the lower and higher temperatures.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:10 PM

just fired it up and it looks like it was around 50-55 psi on a warm engine at lide. i revved it to 2k rpm and it got to about 60 or so. it looks like there's still some air in the line. what's the best way to get that out? let it run?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

You gotta bleed the line

Old 08-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtoc View Post
just fired it up and it looks like it was around 50-55 psi on a warm engine at lide. i revved it to 2k rpm and it got to about 60 or so.
By the way... As long as the air in the line isn't affecting things TOO much-- these readings sound pretty darned good. Cold start + revved to 2k should give a maximum of 60psi and once the engine starts to warm up and the oil will become more viscous and should drop more near the center of that 40-60 range. Sounds like you're in pretty good shape to me