Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Aggravating door issue...

77 F250 2wd....

The damn door on the drivers side wont shut, its not the latch, it will not shut until i drive it around the block then it shuts normally, im out of ideas, all it does is bang Against the striker....

Opens fine (does hit fender though, sometimes to the point i cant open it fully), it seems like a weird intermittant problem with no rhyme or reason....ideas?

Fellro

Staff member
Couple things to look at. First, there is a plastic bushing that goes around the pin that commonly breaks off. The other is the hinge bushings. As they go bad, it lets the door hang low and not hit the striker right. When these combination of things come about, then the pin also can get bent inward a bit and make the latch not engage properly. The more you slam the door to get it to latch, the more the pin starts to lean inward.

Ii just realized i put this in the bullnose (80-86) forum, sorry bout that lol.

I suspected a worn bushing but the door has no up and down slop as well as no drop when opening, the bent pin maybe a possibility though

Fellro

Staff member
It generally isn't the pin itself that is bent, but more the mounting area.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Check cab mounts. might be rubbers are rotted and gone, or floor is rusted through, and door is only closing when cab is at a certain point.
try pushing against the cab when it is doing this, and see if it latches

I got it fixed, sorta. The latch was loose, so i tightened it down, but while screwing with it i found that itll shut when you push down on the door, long story short i backed the top hinge mount bolts off just a bit, now it shuts like a dream.

It does need cab and core support rubber bad, the mounts are fine but the rubber looks like pancakes. Guess thatll be a summer project

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts