Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Price of tires is dropping?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
A couple of years ago, I priced some 235 X 85 X 16 for the '89, and they were a little south of $200/tire. Yesterday I priced the same set of tires from the same dealer and they were $150/tire.

I think I will order a set.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It's mainly a petroleum product I think so maybe the drop in raw materials helped push prices down.

The tire I bought in 2012 was similarly priced as it is right now.

RYan

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I wonder if there the same tire. ? I mean the same tire as in they're going on over 2 years old now.

I don't think so? Comparing prices online also seem to have a drop in tire prices, in this area anyway.

It's mainly a petroleum product I think so maybe the drop in raw materials helped push prices down.

The tire I bought in 2012 was similarly priced as it is right now.

RYan

That's what I was thinking also.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You guys get tires cheap...that is all.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The Lincoln tires I bought a couple months back were actually $14/tire more expensive through the cheapest vendor I could find. Bought them through tire rack the first time (they were the cheapest, including shipping) and bought them through the local Firestone this time.

Probably not a fair comparison, but the Interco tires I buy all seem to be up $50-100/tire from 3-5 years ago.

Have me wondering now that oil prices are dropping if they'd be cheaper right now.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
they ones for my truck went up $20 :(.. they were $202 each for the front 2 last yr... now its $222.. :(

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm looking at 235/85/16 Cooper AT3. Last time I checked, they were about $200/tire. Now they are $149/tire, same distributor, same size.

I'm probably going to catch hell for Cooper, but we have them on all 3 vehicles, and I've been happy with them.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
whys that julian?? they make great tires.. nice soft comfy ride too..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i was meaning why you were gonna catch hell for them...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
See post #11. :D A lot of people don't care for them.

meh.. i usually dont care what other people think of my choices when it comes to things like that.. everyone has a preference in what they like.. For me i hate good year tires... they use to be a good tire.. but when i had 3 bad sets i decided to never buy them again... 2 were on my old buick.. 1st set i had 2 of them split straight down the center line of the tire on the highway.. which is not fun when theyre on your steer tires either.. 1st one happened not a week after i bought them.. next one happened 4 months later.. figured it was a bad run.. replaced them with another set when the replacements worn out..

2nd set the belts broke internally after only a year... at that point i was done with them... or so i thought... When i bought my mustang it came with good years on them.. wasnt happy about it but wasnt going to change it either solely for that reason... it wasnt until i had 3 separate instances losing traction while driving in the rain i ripped them off the car... the last time i ended up going sideways in the middle of the road with a semi next to me and a jersey wall on the other side... managed to keep it off the truck and the wall while getting it facing the correct way.. i had those tires off within a week...

primetime

sawmill slave
I bought two new Discoverer A/T3s, 285/75/16 from the junk yard in town in December. They were $185 a piece. I was out the door mounted and balanced for $385. These same tires were $200 a piece at the local tire shop last winter, $215 thru Summit Racing (plus shipping).

I don`t have any complaints about them, but with the amount of miles I put on the big pig, I won`t wear them out. My mom`s boyfriend has a set on his crew cab Chevy, and hates them because they aren`t lasting as long as his BFG A/Ts, even though they were quite a lot cheaper.

Funny thing is, he has about 50 thou on them. How much more can you ask out of a set of E tires on a heavy work truck? And never had a problem.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I wonder if there the same tire. ? I mean the same tire as in they're going on over 2 years old now.

Haha.....I just bought brand new tires for my KR and am getting new wheels and tires again this fall.....:headbang:I need a smaller rim and meatier tire for better snow driving then the wide/thin profile tires on the very large rim on there now.

Ford Truck Articles