Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x4 engagement

blacksnapon

Staff member
0428 - 1999-2008 F250 - F550 Super Duty - 4x4 With Electronic Shift Transfer Case Not Engaging 4x4.
1999-2008 F-super Duty Vehicles With 4x4 Esof Transfer Case May Be Perceived To Not Engage 4x4. It Is Normal Operation For The Esof 4x4 System To Take Approximately One Minute To Complete Any 4x4/4x2 Shift Request. Not Allowing Up To One Minute For Any Shift To Be Completed Can Result In False Customer Concerns/perception Of An Inoperable 4x4 System And/or Clicking Or Ratcheting Noises From The Front Hublock/axle Area. To Better Understand How The 4x4 System Functions Refer To The Owners Guide And Or Workshop Manual For Details On How The System Operation. Prior To Any Component Replacement Verify The Customers Concern Is Not Due To Normal Function Of The 4x4 System. If The Concern Is Something Other Than Normal 4x4 System Operation Perform Normal Diagnostics Per The Workshop Manual.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Vince what exactly would cause the shift motor to take up to a minute to engage the transfer case? I know on my truck, clicking the electronic 4x4 button activates some sort of solenoid in the passenger kick panel, which immediately powers the t-case shift motor and engages the 4wd the same way my right arm would if I had a lever in the cab...

blacksnapon

Staff member
The esof works by supplying vacuum to the hubs. Variables can cause delayed engagement (tire pressure, going around corners, muddy terrain, ground speed). Essentially, everything has to line up at the same time, to get proper engagement. It takes vacuum to engage, and vacuum to disengage. The vacuum is supplied from the hvac (one of the first symptoms of 4x4 problems is hvac problems)

i know.... not relavent.
just give it a bigger diamond. you'll be engaged.
Lord i apologize.

liar, but nice try

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ahh yes, I forgot that the new trucks have vacuum lock hubs:suspicious:

My truck's not new enough for such fancy contraptions smilietease

Oh and Carl... You're a dink and a 'postwhore'

Last edited:
chris, i may be a post whore....but you are a hippie

Ford Truck Articles