Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2007 Edge trans/cruise issues...Vince

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
2007 Ford Edge with a 150k on it. Symptoms:

1) After 30-45 minutes of driving, shifting gets extremely sloppy.
2) When cold, rpm stay 750-1000 higher than should be when cruising, unless you manually knock it down 1-2mph.
3) After extended trips, cruise control no longer holds speed, and throttle control (in controls and pedal) are lost until cruise is turned off.

I can't get it to pop a code at any time. I was thinking since it seemed to be sensitive the warmer it got, that it was an internal trans problem...but that doesn't explain the cruise (or are those two independent issues that coincidentally failed at the same time?).

I do some reading online, and see that this isn't an uncommon issue, and Ford fiddles around with it, from flushes to full on trans rebuilds (what my dealer is saying now too)...but that more often than not, the TPS is the issue. Thoughts, opinions, experiences???

blacksnapon

Staff member
Without looking at it, it seems to be electronic in nature. Trans codes don't necessarily turn on the light, so there might actually be a code. Even if you're using an IDS, unless you're looking in the right place (TCM) codes may still hide. The cruise not working correctly makes me think its electronic glitches. I didn't find anything in TSBs that specifically follow your symptoms.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks Vince, much appreciated. So at this point, pretty much take the dealer's advice and knock out cheapest 'problems' until we find the correct one.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Any chance you wanna walk some techs through a diagnosis at Feyer Ford in Edenton??? Haha...but seriously. Just got off the phone, saying $432 for labor/diagnostics with line/valve cleanings. Which id be fine with, but they're not confident that's the issue. And say next step is $2k worth of trans exploratory surgery.

blacksnapon

Staff member
My last trans training class, the instructor said "You'd better know what the problem is, what part is defective, and what you have to do to reach it before you take the trans out, because when you get it on the bench, you probably won't see a problem". 2-3 thousand dollars exploratory surgery, NO!. Sounds like someone doesn't want to do proper diagnostics, yes it takes time.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...I reckon I'll pay my tab, and take it elsewhere. Thanks for the info Vince.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...next closest ford dealership is about an hour and a half away. My dealership is still saying they don't know, but they're going to try 'the valve' and 'lines'. Told them to do it, but that's all I wanted and I'll get the car. All the 'internet experts' are saying TPS/tss/oss. About $125 in sensors. Any way to 'test' them in the driveway? Current dealer tech apparently doesn't like suggestions.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So got the Edge back. Final diagnosis from the dealer was that when driving, operativing temps would get too high. Said he was pulling 250+* trans temps. Ok, I'm good with that. Said the fix was 'changing the valve and lines'. Not sure what valve or lines. Said they were all sludged up, so the diagnosis fit the symptom. Drivability is back, no sloppy shifts. Cruise works. So I'm pretty happy.

That said...they also told me, since the fix, I now have an 'intermittent, slight squeal'. Driving it to work today, it's more than intermittent, and more like a 'whine'. And I've found where it happens pretty consistently. Between 2500-3500 rpm AND 45-60mph, I get a god awful whine. Driveability isn't effected, but sounds like the worlds worst power steering whine, but coming from the trans. If I putt along up to speed and keep it under 2500 rpm, no issues. If I floor it and go above 3500 rpm, no issues either. It almost sounds like I'm getting it when I start coming off the throttle and the trans is wanting to shift in to O/D. Didn't try turning the OD off on the way in to work this morning, but I will tonight.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
OD off didn't make a difference. But the 'whine' is definitely more pronounced when backing off the throttle.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Vac leak from something getting whacked while they were working?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Vac leak from something getting whacked while they were working?

Not sure...not familiar enough with stuff this new to even know what I'm talking about. But that is pretty much what it sounds like...some sorta actuator hunting for engagement. More of an electronic 'whine' than a vacuum 'whistle'. But seems to be working relatively normal aside from that.

Irritates me, didn't go in with it, put in a 'new valve and lines' and comes out with it, but the dealership doesn't know what it is outside of 'it's coming from the trans'. And their only solution, again, was to pull it and investigate.

Gonna do some googling, see if I can find a common problem, maybe throw some parts at it. If that doesn't work, either burn it to the ground or trade it in. I just can't justify $2-4k on a problem I/the dealership doesn't even know I have on an 8-9 year old vehicle with 150-160k on the odo. Got a new 150 crew as a loaner, I knew I loved them, but driving one for a week solidified that fact. A little big for Bailee, but she likes the Hot Rod Lincoln anyway.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Little update on this...brought the Edge back in. After tons of reading, seemed like the TSS and OSS sensors fixed my problem about 80% of the time. So I decided to go that route. Dealership told me not to do it, they weren't pulling any trouble codes. Told them the overwhelming majority of these cases don't seem to pull a code, and at this point...my guess was as good as theirs, since they didn't know what the issue was either. Apologized for being a google warrior, but I was convinced this was the fix and was cheaper than $2-4k worth of exploratory trans surgery. 2-3 days go by, sure enough...trans is back to shifting and acting good as new.

The only issue I still have is the speed dependent whine/hum I got from the last time the dealer worked on it replacing 'the valve and trans lines'. Dealer said they heard it shifting in to 5th...but it's still definitely there from 45-65 under 3000rpm. No adverse driving issues...just a whine and hum.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The only issue I still have is the speed dependent whine/hum I got from the last time the dealer worked on it replacing 'the valve and trans lines'. Dealer said they heard it shifting in to 5th...but it's still definitely there from 45-65 under 3000rpm. No adverse driving issues...just a whine and hum.

Update on this...genera consensus is a line pressure issue. Not sure what changed to cause a line a pressure issue...but at 160k I'm just going to let it ride.

Ford Truck Articles