Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fair price? 1976 F250 Reg. cab highboy

1976 F250 4X4 Highboy

I've got a few questions. First; I'm looking at buying a 1976 F250 4X4 highboy with a 390, completely rebuilt drivetrain with less then 10KM on it. He's asking $10,500 is this a fair price? Second, is it possible to swap the existing low back bench seats for bucket seats or even high back bench seats from a later year model, if so would it be difficult to do on my own.

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
A little more info on the rig as well as pics of engine bay and underneath would be helpful....seems a little high at first glance.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
10k does seem steep. Also check to make sure its actually a 390, since they came with 360s.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

In the more southern US states that would probably be a $5500-$6000 truck. In Manitoba, where I live, that truck would sell for $8500-$10,500 easy... That is assuming the interior and drivetrain are as clean as the rest of the truck appears.

I see B.C. plates on the truck. Based on what I've seen in the past as far as the Canadian market for these trucks goes, I'd say that the asking price is fair, as unfortunate as it is for us Canuks.

Where I live, most of them are rotted out, so when somebody wants one, they pay for it.

Derek.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I agree with Derek..I paid heavily for my 79 The seats up to 96-97 will work...you have to use the tracks from the donor truck as well.
97 is F250 heavy duty and 350 only.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
In the more southern US states that would probably be a $5500-$6000 truck. In Manitoba, where I live, that truck would sell for $8500-$10,500 easy... That is assuming the interior and drivetrain are as clean as the rest of the truck appears.

I see B.C. plates on the truck. Based on what I've seen in the past as far as the Canadian market for these trucks goes, I'd say that the asking price is fair, as unfortunate as it is for us Canuks.

Where I live, most of them are rotted out, so when somebody wants one, they pay for it.

Derek.

I don't understand....if the market is so good in canuck land for these rigs, why don't they buy in the us on ebay or something and transport them up North?

I don't understand....if the market is so good in canuck land for these rigs, why don't they buy in the us on ebay or something and transport them up North?

I'm sure some do. I don't have a real good answer for you though...

We drove nearly 48 hours non-stop to pickup my truck down near Dayton, Ohio.

Left on a Friday at 10:30 PM, and crossed back into Canuck land on Monday at 1:30 AM.

Still can't believe it went as well as it did. The 5.4 Triton sure was a trooper! Longest that truck was turned off, other than for loading the highboy, was half hour at a pizza hut somewhere near Chicago. I do miss that truck. God was definitely with us on that ride!

Sorry, I love to tell stories. :)

Derek.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'm sure some do. I don't have a real good answer for you though...

We drove nearly 48 hours non-stop to pickup my truck down near Dayton, Ohio.

Left on a Friday at 10:30 PM, and crossed back into Canuck land on Monday at 1:30 AM.

Still can't believe it went as well as it did. The 5.4 Triton sure was a trooper! Longest that truck was turned off, other than for loading the highboy, was half hour at a pizza hut somewhere near Chicago. I do miss that truck. God was definitely with us on that ride!

Sorry, I love to tell stories. :)

Derek.

I live in Maine and the 77, we got on ebay in Washington state, flew there and drove it back on a little vacation......was the most memorable trip we've taken thus far in our marriage....pretty incredible.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
If I may speak for Duncan, since he's probably in bed, or something, I believe his truck came from California.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That doesn't look too bad...I wouldn't pay 10,5 for it...but that might be warranted in your area. Interior alone says not a 10k truck to me...wrong color dash pad, cheap door panels, vinyl floor. Engine bay does look pretty nice though as does the paint and body. Underneath, looks like someone attempted to clean/paint. That's typically what I would consider a driver restoration...make it pretty, but don't go overboard so you still want to drive it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
For $10,500 I'd want carpet, a matching dash pad and not LMC cheapo door panels...at the very least.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
For $10,500 I'd want carpet, a matching dash pad and not LMC cheapo door panels...at the very least.

Maybe a custom headliner; some gauges would be absolute minimum...where the heck are the additional gauges and tach!

No AC?

The steering wheel, column, and pedals are faded and look like they came off of a farm truck that was worked hard for 37 years.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^roll cage, sub woofers, amplifier, chromed ash tray, chromed glove box cover, chromed fire extinguisher, a fire extinguisher, electric windows, after market steering wheel.......yeah, that's about it.

At least it has the sliding rear windows....that's a nice option.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

The guy I bought mine from does just that...but it takes time and money with no guarantees

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The guy I bought mine from does just that...but it takes time and money with no guarantees

That's pretty cool Duncan....it appears there can be some money made in that.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That's pretty cool Duncan....it appears there can be some money made in that.

I know that he is sitting on probably 50k+ of trucks right now.
I thought about buying direct from the States, but for myself, I would have to physically look at it and drive it...so at least a 2k trip...and I figure that there will be at least 2 of them, plus the time and $$ to get it back here.

I paid him a premium, but when I look at the big picture, it was easier and I only drove 90 min to look at it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts