Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dual shock front end

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Is there any adverse effect to only running one shock per side on the front? I don't really feel like buying six shocks at their oh so lovely price...

Thanks,

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
My brother always told me that having dual shocks in front provided for as stiffer ride. But I believe it was Brad that told me they make a very large IMPROVEMENT in the ride quality and handling. I seem to remember him saying something like "I'd never guy a truck without dual shocks" Or something to that effect....

I've only ever had the duals on my truck so I have no basis for comparison but I will say my truck rides pretty stiff but handles pretty well for such a large vehicle with oversized tires.

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I have had several trucks with duals. The main advantage I noticed was towing, believe it or not. It kept the front from bouncing on bumps from the weight of the trailer. Go ahead and just buy 4 shocks for now and try it. If you're not happy, put your old auxillary shocks back on the front and save up to buy two more.

Eric,
My experience and what convinced me about Ford's handling package (quad shock) was driving two identical, with the exception of the quad shock setup, shortbed F150's on the same washboard gravel road. These trucks had the same wheels, the same size BFG All Terrain radial tires (33/12.50x15), everything except like I said, the handling package. It was the perfect apples to apples test. There was absolutely no comparison in the two. It was night and day difference to the good. The one truck would hop and drift (skate around) on the road where the other would hold the road and feel oh so much more solid. It sold me to the point that I have not purchased a truck since that hasn't had it when the option was available.

Last edited:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I'm thinking I'll just wait till taxes come back, then I'll just get my new tires and shocks all at the same time, that way I know it'll be ready for the trip to California

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
The quad only helps on off roads . And some help in hauling. With a good set of shocks in the rear of coil little will be noticed on road. I used to yank the front 2 going out west to soften the ride. Get 2 now and 2 later.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts