Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Old 03-09-2020, 08:02 PM
sawmill slave

primetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond repute
Glad you got the belt issue solved.

I`ll throw my two cents in on the tire thing. Keep in mind it`s worth what you paid. Generally the steer axle will wear the front tires the worst because of the scrubbing that occurs as the tires turn. That`s why we rotate. The exception being a truck that is always towing or loaded heavy. My buddy that makes a living with his two one ton trucks doing exactly that is a prime example. He wears the back tires faster.

If I`m only buying two tires I will put them on the steer axle. I can add weight to the bed, or my personal favorite, put it in 4x4 since I don`t buy 2wd trucks for winter daily use in northern Michigan.

However, for me this all changes on a fwd vehicle. Here`s why. Back in the early to mid 90`s an editor at Car and Driver got to participate in a skid pad test of a front drive car that had worn tires on the back and the front tires replaced with new. Before and after tests showed that new tires on the front only upset the balance of the car and let the tail end come out easier.

A few years later at the tender age of 18 I experienced this first hand. I was dating a young lady who had a Chevy Cavalier. It was winter, and it needed tires. I could only afford two, so they went on the front. And next thing you know the ass end was trying to swap with the front when you were pulling away from a stop sign while turning.

Like I said, just my two cents.

Justin

With a little luck and a greenback dollar you gonna see me shine.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2020, 09:32 PM
Micro Machine Manager

Kaajot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
Glad you got the belt issue solved.

I`ll throw my two cents in on the tire thing. Keep in mind it`s worth what you paid. Generally the steer axle will wear the front tires the worst because of the scrubbing that occurs as the tires turn. That`s why we rotate. The exception being a truck that is always towing or loaded heavy. My buddy that makes a living with his two one ton trucks doing exactly that is a prime example. He wears the back tires faster.

If I`m only buying two tires I will put them on the steer axle. I can add weight to the bed, or my personal favorite, put it in 4x4 since I don`t buy 2wd trucks for winter daily use in northern Michigan.

However, for me this all changes on a fwd vehicle. Here`s why. Back in the early to mid 90`s an editor at Car and Driver got to participate in a skid pad test of a front drive car that had worn tires on the back and the front tires replaced with new. Before and after tests showed that new tires on the front only upset the balance of the car and let the tail end come out easier.

A few years later at the tender age of 18 I experienced this first hand. I was dating a young lady who had a Chevy Cavalier. It was winter, and it needed tires. I could only afford two, so they went on the front. And next thing you know the ass end was trying to swap with the front when you were pulling away from a stop sign while turning.

Like I said, just my two cents.
Thanks! This helps explain why Google is saying one thing (and the mechanic, ironically). I do tow and load heavy, but these tires are wore out in the front so it's the front that needs love. The back really look to be in excellent condition after only 3 years.

Funny, I've done a lot of high-speed driving with 2WD in northern Michigan, but I also learned at age 16 what it feels like to spin a FWD and RWD car out in blizzards, so adjusting driving style and methods and "flying by the seat of your pants" really does work to a certain extent. Never wiped out once since then (except when I was 17 and waving to the neighbor, promptly turning the wheel right into their driveway and a 4' high powder of fluff.

Tags
1992 f150, 4.9l, serpentine belt, shredding