Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

pretty good deal on a 400....

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
sorry to hear that that is a good deal for you. they are damn near free around here, and i can buy a built one for $350 right now if i wanted it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Engine and trans not too shabby. That being said, I picked up a 90k mile original motor for $150...the top end let loose about 8k later. So I've thrown about $700 into plus purchase price. Flip side of that, I picked up a 400 in unknown condition, a C6 in low mile rebuilt condition and a 205 in low mile rebuilt condition all for free...the guy just wanted it out of his garage. I also picked up a 400 similarly built to how I redid the Bronco, but it has Summit brand innards for $250.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Ya I think so..

Just the crank, wasn't it??

That is what I thought...3.5'' for 351 and 4'' for 400...if you want stock rods, I am about to take a bunch of stuff to the dump...heads, rods, pistons, flywheel, starter....etc, etc....you can have whatever for free...shipping might be a bit ugly though.

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
351's and 400's get tossed for 460's nonstop. i used to see ads in trading papers ranging from $200 to get this off my property and you can have it. guess it might not be like that everywhere. same on 2x4 c-6's no one want's or needs them here. gave two away 5 years ago, one low mileage one about 100k.

aaron, i'll start looking :flipoff:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
351's and 400's get tossed for 460's nonstop. i used to see ads in trading papers ranging from $200 to get this off my property and you can have it. guess it might not be like that everywhere. same on 2x4 c-6's no one want's or needs them here. gave two away 5 years ago, one low mileage one about 100k.

And that's great news for guys like me who love the 400. The way I see it, desmog the 400 and you have a comparable motor with 90% of the power of the 460 at lower rpm. Performance parts can be matched dollar for dollar until you start talking strokers.

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
i'm not gonna get into the 400v.s.460 argument because we all know that 400's eat 460 exhaust, i'm just saying around here they are cheap and unwanted :D

That is what I thought...3.5'' for 351 and 4'' for 400...if you want stock rods, I am about to take a bunch of stuff to the dump...heads, rods, pistons, flywheel, starter....etc, etc....you can have whatever for free...shipping might be a bit ugly though.

Shipping would be killer.. But I was more being sarcastic to Dan..

But I was thinking Old school long rod...

Good You ship.. smilieFordlogo

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I'm not saying the 460 isn't great...I have one. I'm also not saying the 460 isn't necessarily a better engine. I'm just saying perpetual ignorance about the 400 is what has all those 460's going in. I'd match either of my 400's up against any similarly built 460 any day. And I guarantee the 460 snobs would be shocked. Ignorance begets ignorance.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'll put my 434 up against one :D

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
never had a 400, just a couple weak as all hell are you sure this is a v8 351miserables.

i'll never say the 400 is junk, but i will say i have never heard anyone who has swapped from a 400 to a 460 say they wish they still had their 400.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
never had a 400, just a couple weak as all hell are you sure this is a v8 351miserables.

i'll never say the 400 is junk, but i will say i have never heard anyone who has swapped from a 400 to a 460 say they wish they still had their 400.

Well, I'm gonna wind up with a 550hp/tq engine that weighs around 410 lbs...plus it is the original block.

http://www.tmeyerinc.com/engineweight.html

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Dan I didn't say that was the case either...I simply said you could build a comparable 400 until you start talking strokers. So why waste the time and money on a 460...or why have the 'bigger is better' mentality, when you can have something similar with what you have. You think someones jaw drops when they hear 460...you should see how far their jaw drops when you're outrunning everyone with that bastard of a 400. Sorry, but I don't adhere to the school of thought that my dick isn't big enough...so let's compensate with the biggest thing I can find. Especially when all I have to do is think a little bit to make my stuff run with the '460 guys'.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Besides...everybody goes 460's...I prefer to stand out, not be the same as everybody else. I put the 460 swap on the same platform as everyone painting their rig black or lifting their rig for looks, etc.

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
well, my bronc has a 351, and it isn't staying there. i already had the swap mounts laying around, and i couldn't pass up a $40 460. not trying to be cool, i just like big motors. plus fatdan460 sounds better than fatdan351 :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts