Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1941 Pickup ReDo

I built this truck a couple years ago and ran the Flathead in front of a C-4 Tranny. It has power front disc brakes and I powered the booster for the brakes with an electric vacuum pump. That was all well and good, but the lack of Flathead vacuum made it a handful to drive.

In June I removed the Flathead and built a Small Block Ford 302 (5.0 HO Roller) motor. One thing led to another and now I've removed the original Cross member and straight Axle front end and installed a mustang II front suspension and power rack and Pinion steering. Here are a few build pics:

Out with the old Split bones front end:
split_bones.jpg

The new Small Block in place:
progress.jpg

The new steering setup:
steering1.jpg

I built this truck with a Cancer Awareness theme (I lost my wife to cancer 4 years ago). The signatures are of the folks who helped me finish the original build which we did BEFORE my wife passed.

I was afraid I was going to have to remove the firewall for a 4" recessed firewall to accomodate this small block Ford, but I'm thinking we have this about knocked out with the original firewall intact :)

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Sorry to hear about your wife's passing. The truck looks like a lovely tribute to her - nice job on the build.....

and welcome!!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
What a great back story to the rebuild of your truck which is a beautiful tribute to your wife ..... really neat pictures and such an inspiration to read about the members of your club pulling together and working with you and your wife on the first build.

Thanks for your kind words.

Finished the oiling system today, oil sensor, dip stick, primed the oil pump. Finished installing the new drive shaft.

Still need to finish making up the spark plug wires, plumbing the power steering setup. Then reinstall the front clip and reconnect the wiring. Hopefully it will be on the road again by mid-October.

I'll save completing the air conditioning system til next spring.

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
What an awesome way to make a tribute to your wife and the victims of cancer! Great work!

primetime

sawmill slave
Very cool. I do understand the significance of the pink, and I think it works really well.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Almost done, eh?. I love the look of the headlights on the 40's ford vehicles. What color white is that on the truck. It actually goes well with the grille.

Thats actually NAPA Cross/Fire (a Martin Senor paint). I could research the number, but I believe that it is a Volvo truck fleet color.

This morning I worked on converting my original oil bath Air cleaner to fit my new 4 barrel. Here's a link to the page with photos:

http://roseandiris.net/brooke4.htm

Finished_Product.jpg

Last edited:
Update:

Front wheels and tires back on. Still on the lift, but I think we NAILED the hot rod stance:

front_stance.jpg

She looks good from rear angles too:

rear_quarter.jpg

I love the '39 tail lights in the rear roll pan:

rear_plate.jpg

That does look really nice with that stance - i like those tailights too

Ford Truck Articles