Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

DNFXDLI's 79 F150 Build Part 2

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Thanks Brad!

Out of curiosity and am not sure you addressed this in the beginning or not, but how did you come to the conclusion of doing a 1979? Or did you just find a truck that had great potential?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Out of curiosity and am not sure you addressed this in the beginning or not, but how did you come to the conclusion of doing a 1979? Or did you just find a truck that had great potential?

I had several Ford trucks...and my 79 Bronco was my favorite. I had to sell it to buy my first house and always had the desire to get another.
Edit...when I bought it, I had plans just to drive it, however after storing it the first winter unheated it began to leak everything. I was just going to regasket what was needed and leave it at that. Then I thought "well, I can't put a clean engine in that dirty compartment"...and thus began the slippery slope :D

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ah...the good ol' slippery slope, makes me wonder, what innate instinct causes it.

That said...Dman, did you ever get a number how out of square your frame was?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Hey Duncan remind me to send you your vents. I totally forgot about them :headbang:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Or, as they say out east, Part deux! 'hiding_smilie' Keep us posted!

Heyheyhey...careful with the French stuff :D

Ah...the good ol' slippery slope, makes me wonder, what innate instinct causes it.

That said...Dman, did you ever get a number how out of square your frame was?

I chalk it up to some kind of genetic deficiency :D
Frame was out 1/4''...now it is out zero.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hey Duncan remind me to send you your vents. I totally forgot about them :headbang:

Sean...send me the vents...:rofl: :rofl: No rush dude...I don't see the interior happening until fall at the earliest.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I had several Ford trucks...and my 79 Bronco was my favorite. I had to sell it to buy my first house and always had the desire to get another.
Edit...when I bought it, I had plans just to drive it, however after storing it the first winter unheated it began to leak everything. I was just going to regasket what was needed and leave it at that. Then I thought "well, I can't put a clean engine in that dirty compartment"...and thus began the slippery slope :D

Cool, thanks.

I think I have it in me, Ben! 'smiliecrazy'

'smiliedoh'

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
What do you guys think of this line of gauges?...I would have preferred the Ford ones by Autometer, but the line is limited. I need to have oil pressure, trans temp, water temp, voltage and tach.
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugeli...&opid=1&szid=2

The other ones I'm considering:
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugeli...&opid=1&szid=2

Well since you asked, I don't like either :wasntme:
I prefer Isspro EV2 gauges www.isspro.com/ev2.php

Great source for purchase www.dieselmanor.com/default.asp

BTW quit posting questions in locked threads smilietease

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Not my fault you were too slow..smilietease :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks for that link Greg!...I'd not heard of those before!

Isspro is located in Portland OR and has been in business since about 1950. They have been long time OEM suppliers to the OTR, Off Highway & Marine industry.

BTW I type slow for you Canucks so you have time to process the language translation from English to French smilietease :wasntme:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Isspro is located in Portland OR and has been in business since about 1950. They have been long time OEM suppliers to the OTR, Off Highway & Marine industry.

BTW I type slow for you Canucks so you have time to process the language translation from English to French smilietease :wasntme:

Interesting...and the second part of your reply has been duly noted for future consideration..:p

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Well, I know I said that I was going to keep the original 3.50 gears and change the transmission 1st and 2nd gear to help out, but now I'm having a waffle about going to 3.73's...no deeper as I've already got the true trac for the front.
The truck came factory with L78 x 15 tires which would have been about 29'' tall...looks like going to a 31'' tire with 3.73's will put it within a few rpm of the original. Reason for the waffling is that the converter I'm getting is around 2600 stall...which at 70 mph is going to be right around that rpm with the 3.50's and a 31-32 tire...hmmmmmmm.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Well, I know I said that I was going to keep the original 3.50 gears and change the transmission 1st and 2nd gear to help out, but now I'm having a waffle about going to 3.73's...no deeper as I've already got the true trac for the front.
The truck came factory with L78 x 15 tires which would have been about 29'' tall...looks like going to a 31'' tire with 3.73's will put it within a few rpm of the original. Reason for the waffling is that the converter I'm getting is around 2600 stall...which at 70 mph is going to be right around that rpm with the 3.50's and a 31-32 tire...hmmmmmmm.

Okay Duncan why such a high stall speed on the converter????

Ford Truck Articles