Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

still hi beam problems

ok so i went and looked in my owners manual for the fuses on the hi beams. There is none.. There is a relay for the lights that is suppoused to be in the 12 position in the block under the hood. spots 11 and 12 look like theyve never seen any kind of relay and are both empty... Is that correct?
I have no high beams . If i put them "on" just the marker lights light up

Also when the guy had to fix the overdrive switch he found the wires on the column had freyed and were shorting out the overdrive... what color wires are the hi beam wires down there and how do they hook up? ( i figure thats the next obvious choice)

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I'm not for certain, but there should be a multifunction switch that works more than one component. Maybe the frayed wire problem is more extensive than the o/d switch. Have you dug into the column assembly?

When did you lose your Hi Beams?

Oh yea, and what year Ranger?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Stupid question, but are the bulbs good? I ask because I've seen it before that both bulbs were burnt out. If they are good check the wiring in the column. Did this issue happen at the same time your overdrive started messing up?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
First thought that came to mind was the bulbs...I hate electrical diagnostics, so if it was me, I'd probably just replace one and see if that fixed that side.

What happens if you pull the multifunction switch toward the wheel (flash to pass)? If you get high and low beams there, I'd think switch issue.

If I get home before dark tonight I'll pop the hoods on my two Rangers and see if I can figure out what the deal is with the fuses/relays...but no promises on that.

blacksnapon

Staff member
First thing to look at would be the frayed wiring. A year of your vehicle would be helpful for wire colors. See if you're getting power and ground to the bulbs while operating the switch. Then I would think combination switch because thats the most common thing I've seen.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I don't know that I wouldn't take a floor dimmer and tie it into the lights. That would eliminate alot... should be able to just wire it right into a 12v source shouldnt you? I haven't ever really looked at how they work, just replaced a couple. but it's an idea...

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Probably just easier to find the frayed wire then mess with wiring a floor dimmer in.

ok well i got a good one for you.... the fuse marked 33 in the damn fusebox reads in the FORD RANGER owners manual for headlights instrument lights and something else and i had headlights and instrument lights so i never checked it and the fuse was popped..... guy replaced the fuse and the hi beams work

blacksnapon

Staff member
ok well i got a good one for you.... the fuse marked 33 in the damn fusebox reads in the FORD RANGER owners manual for headlights instrument lights and something else and i had headlights and instrument lights so i never checked it and the fuse was popped..... guy replaced the fuse and the hi beams work
When all else fails, read the directions!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts