Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Truck In The Family!!!

99 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4 SuperCap!!!! Blue to boot!!! HAHA!!! smilieFordlogo

88K on the clock. 5 spd with the 3.0 V6. Drove good, shifted good and looked good, so I bought it. Got rid of the wifes VW Jetta that I loved so much....YEAH RIGHT :headbang: !!! Still got to keep my Super Duty as well.

A truck family is a happy family!! smilieFordlogo Now I just got to get my Bronco going.

Here are a few pics.

truck3-1.jpg

truck5.jpg

truck4.jpg

truck2-1.jpg

truck1-1.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Nice looking truck!

Nice looking truck!

From what the salesman at the dealer said it "LITERALLY" belonged to some lil old lady!!! LOL!!! :rofl:

Carfax was clean. Transmission was replaced back in 01. Had a antifreeze flush a few months ago.

Basically its going to be my winter driver. Wife likes it to, too, two. When I told her about it, she was like, sure why not.

nice tuck! ive never held any faith in carfax, someone like me who fixes/works on everything, thered be nothing to show up.

Yeah. I take a carefax with a grain of salt. Want nother be reported on the carfax now that I own it! HAHA!!!

Thanks for the complements yall. Ima have fun with this lil truck for sure. smilieFordlogo

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Great looking truck!

I always take Carfax with a grain of salt. My Ranger had plenty of oil change and detail records on it, but nothing about the time it went into the shop for transmission work in which the trans tech lost and/or forgot to re-install one of the trans solenoid retaining bolts, which caused a whole mess of problems with the truck. I fixed it myself, as well as everything else my truck has needed, and none of what I have done will show up on Carfax. However, I have kept a very detailed logbook of what I've done, so if I ever sell the truck, as a common courtesy, it will be passed on to the new owner.

Well I have been driven the truck for two days now. Slower than pond water but that dont matter. HAHA!!! Not sure on the MPGs and where that will play out. Fun truck tho!

Got to adjust the rear brakes. They lock up when ya got to push the brake peddal hard. Not really sure if it has ABS or not. Gunna take the vin to Ford and see what they tell me for more info.

What oil would one want to put in this thing? 5w30? Dino? Synthetic? Been reading some Ranger Forums but thats like pullen a name out of a hat, it's gunna be different every time.

Gunna look at the plugs and stuff this weekend to see what they look like. Might just change them out as well as the wires.

Now I just got to get some wheels and 31x10.50s and a bed cover. HAHA!!

I love the 3.0 (Vulcan).

OK power, Reasonable MPG's. Darn Reliable!

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Put the oil Ford recommends in it. My truck takes 5W20. I use Motorcraft Synthetic blend right now, but I may switch to Mobil One full synthetic in the near future. And rumor has it that Rangers do not run well on plugs that don't say Motorcraft on em. Don't know how true it is, but I'm not gonna be the one to test it out.

Back when I had my 98 Taurus with the 3.0, my owners manual said to use 89 octane.

Does yours say the same?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Got to adjust the rear brakes. They lock up when ya got to push the brake peddal hard. Not really sure if it has ABS or not. Gunna take the vin to Ford and see what they tell me for more info.
Just a stab in the dark here, but I'm going to guess that when you get your rear brakes adjusted right, you'll find the emergency brake grabs pretty low. With no adjustment on the cable, some mechanics think the only way to tighten up the e-brake is to tighten the rear shoes.

I happen to disagree- but I don't think I ever got an inspection sticker on my '97 without a fight about how close to the floor the e-brake pedal grabbed. (It would hold the truck, though- or stall it out in first gear. So I always did get my sticker.)

If memory serves, all 4x4 Rangers had four-wheel ABS by the mid-90s.

What oil would one want to put in this thing? 5w30? Dino? Synthetic? Been reading some Ranger Forums but thats like pullen a name out of a hat, it's gunna be different every time.
Ask a dozen people and you'll get a baker's dozen responses... For viscosity, look in the manual, for dino vs. synth- your call.

Now I just got to get some wheels and 31x10.50s and a bed cover. HAHA!!

Not sure what kind of bed cover you're looking for, but I'm pretty happy with the roll-up tonneau I put on my '09 Ranger. Got velcro along the sides and a clip at the tailgate- pretty waterproof, pretty quick/easy to roll up. Paid $300 for it from AutoAnything. Lund Genesis, I believe it's called.

EDIT: Thread here.

Last edited:

dixie_boysles

Joshua 24:15
MA, NC
sweet truck!!!

By any chance have you gotten an average on MPG's?

Ford Truck Articles