Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Finally Hutched It

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Figured since i couldnt afford to fill the tank for another week.. id modify the tank a little hehehe..

image_zpsszns2mm0.jpg

Lotta space under there when the tanks missing...

image_zpstjsgk82g.jpg

for only having 4 gallons left in it that things still pretty heavy.. and awkward to try and carry when the fuel can slosh around...

image_zps4tzoogd6.jpg

out comes the sending unit...

image_zpshcpxsimz.jpg

at first i thought that was a cap.. but apparently its a 1 way valve...

image_zps9u5cb1ye.jpg

Little test fitting of the new line to make sure it clears the float..

image_zpsimjpeb2f.jpg

yup sure does.. had to bend it a little as when i tried to put it in the tank i discovered it hit the tank wall.. wouldnt let the sending unit sit flat.. opps..

image_zpsoj55n9yt.jpg

stripped off the paint from the brake line as i couldnt find anyone that might know if the fuel would have taken it off.. didnt want it accidently getting sucked up...

image_zpsft93m42y.jpg

shaped it so it ran down to the bottom of the tank.. heard some reports that when it just hung up in the air people had problems with it fatiguing the sending unit causing it to break. this way the tank supports some of it.

image_zps9cib0ynx.jpg

little valve..

image_zpsvaorc7re.jpg

nice union...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
right now shes got the shiny orange pump light on her.. biggest reason i did it was i heard alot of people talking about how it could suck air bubbles in from the return line when it got below it or if there was any being blown by the return itself..

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Looks like a lot of work. I thought the same thing on my '78 when I dropped the midship tank. It looked really roomy under there.

right now shes got the shiny orange pump light on her.. biggest reason i did it was i heard alot of people talking about how it could suck air bubbles in from the return line when it got below it or if there was any being blown by the return itself..

Yeah stops from picking up the frothed fuel!! Mine quietened the engine down too

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Looks like a lot of work. I thought the same thing on my '78 when I dropped the midship tank. It looked really roomy under there.

ironically doug.. next time that tank comes out a bigger ones going in... shell be loosing her 29 gal tank for a 51 gal tank...

Yeah stops from picking up the frothed fuel!! Mine quietened the engine down too

shes still missing a little but her giddy up had more pep... even got her to wiggle her butt around when i got on it the one time.. thats hard to do in a dually... im hoping the tuner helps solve the miss.. if not im pulling injectors.. which i dont want to do..

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
ironically doug.. next time that tank comes out a bigger ones going in... shell be loosing her 29 gal tank for a 51 gal tank...

shes still missing a little but her giddy up had more pep... even got her to wiggle her butt around when i got on it the one time.. thats hard to do in a dually... im hoping the tuner helps solve the miss.. if not im pulling injectors.. which i dont want to do..

You're doing a 51 gal midship tank?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
image_zpst34ojmi4.jpg

image_zpsyu9irfll.jpg

image_zps56ocyrzd.jpg

and now im broke...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That is a cheap fill!
Nice job Shawn!

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
yeah i was poking around to see who was cheapest and saw that... everyone else in the area it was 2.29-2.68 9/10 gal... i saw it and was like.. "IM BUYIN!!!" better not be a lie...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
How low will it go, so to speak? $1.90 for diesel? Holy crap, that's cheap.

same depth as far as the tanks go as your still using the same tank straps... its just longer...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
havent bought one yet andy but will be a titan tank... they use to have a 56 gallon version for the crew short beds.. but when i went looking the other day it seemed to be gone..

What did you do yesterday? ... I hutched my tank.

It just sounds dirty, do you have to change your underwear after?

Hi Sparky... beer drinking smilie

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
:p You know you wanted to watch Randy... lol

hey hey...

Ford Truck Articles