Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'49 F1 Original Color

Hello,

This is my first post here. Seems like a great source of info. Hope I will be able to contribute as I learn more about these trucks.

I have a '49 F1 with build code 3 2B 229 stamped into the firewall.

Would 3 be the paint code? Black possibly?

The assembly branch is stamped ATL. I'm not sure if the same paint codes were used at all assembly plants.

Thanks

I found this on the interwebs, do you see any codes like these?

f6e8c9034d74dc99301f14e6c5082a18.jpg

Thanks. I haven't found those type of codes anywhere on the truck.

From reading here and elsewhere, I think the firewall stamping contains a code for the original color, build date, and some plant specific numbering. 3 2B 229 is what I have. The 3 in my stamp seems to be the color code. The 2B means February 2 build date. B for February and 2 for the day.

If this is correct, I would like to know the color represented by the number 3.

I should make clear for anyone else interested that we concluded the 3 stamped into my firewall means the truck was originally painted Black.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
You're welcome - we're happy to share what we've learned over the years. The records were burned by Ford so it's been a long process.

I saw you asked about paint codes in general - yes almost all plants used the same codes, but they changed several times. '50 was a new series and it changed at some plants again in 51/52 from numbers to letters, etc. Makes it interesting!

Someday I'll try to put all the codes together that I have and post it here....

That is interesting. Do you know why Ford burned the records?

During my search I did find a list posted by 52Merc matching letters to colors for '51 models. Didn't help with my '49 though.

According to the tag decode section of the Ford Chassis Parts manual, your color choices for 1951 were;

Black, code A
Sheridan Blue, code B
Alpine Blue, code D
Sea Island Green, code G
Silvertone Grey, code H
Meadow Green, code M
Vermillion (red), code N
Prime, code P
Special Paint, code SS

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles