Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2004 F250 6.8l engine dies no codes

My 04 f250 4x4 6.8l has taken to dying with no codes. It does it at any speed. The tach drops to zero, but if I am over about 45 mph it will restart so I know the engine is still turning over. Sometimes it will buck a few times and then go on as though nothing had happened. The first time it happened it showed a CPS code so I replaced the crank sensor. The next few times no codes or codes that made no sense like transfer case codes and transmission over temp. Once it set codes for high cylinder head temp, high engine temp and ASME overtemperature. Mostly no codes though. Right now it is showing a P1000 code and it has been a week since I reset any codes. I have replaced the plugs and ALL of the coil packs with Motorcraft parts since this started. I am leaning toward the PCM or the wiring, but haven't found any issues with connectors. Any thoughts?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
When it dies you have to see what you are losing. Must ck for spark, injector pulse, and fuel pressure.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
with the weird codes it sounds like the pcm to me... ive had 2 computers die in other vehicles.. both times they were saying sensors were bad in several places.. and shouldnt have been... replaced the computer codes never showed up again...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
It could be a bad ground too.
Everytime you hit a bump, you jar it loose

blacksnapon

Staff member
3 grounds to check. 2 at rear, driver side of engine compartment. One on driver side kick panel inside the cab.

Ford Truck Articles