Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hard starting-fuel pump?

Hi everyone,
This is my first listing, so hopefully I'll get it right.
I have a 2001 Ranger 2WD with the 3.0L. With a full tank of gas, it starts just like a champ, but once it gets to 3/4, all bets are off. At that point, I usually (but not always) have to crank it for 6-8 sec., let off the key for 3-4 sec., then try again. It starts right up then. This problem occurs with a hot or cold engine.
I was told it's probably the fuel pump, but since that's $260 in the box, I hate to change it unless I'm sure.
There is also a very infrequent missfire when driving in cold weather (like right now) that I feel is somehow related. I've never seen the check engine light come on when it bucks (missfires).
One more thing, a friend told me that you should always keep the gas tank at least 1/4 full because the fuel is the coolant for the fuel pump. Is that true? My habit is to run the tank nearly dry before refueling.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks for the response Don
To 7/8 tank full, it always starts right, to 3/4 it rarely causes any trouble. Below that, it rarely starts without having to crank the engine the way I described. I have to admit I've been sticking my head in the sand with this problem as it's been going on for about a year. It hasn't seemed to change since it started though. Shawn

blacksnapon

Staff member
Inside the tank, not only is there a fuel pump, its mounted to the sender. The pump is connected to the sender with rubber hoses. I've seen the clamps holding the hoses loosen causing the pump to just pump air when the fuel level gets lower than the loose clamp.

That sounds like what I expect to find. Would that cause the truck to stop running? It never has and I've only noticed the missfiring I mentioned when I'm driving, not at idle. The truck "bucks" like the engine stalled for a fraction of a second, then keeps going. I don't ever remember it missing above freezing and it only does that a few times per day if at all.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
the "new gas also eats rubber, hose could be sucking flat.

Ford Truck Articles