Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What shall I do!!

What shall I do?

• 400 FTW

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • 460 FTW

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters
I keep going back and forth....Back and forth....Back and forth... I just can't seem to decide!

Do I...

1: Build a killer 400 out of my healthy low mileage 351M?
2: Build a screaming 460 out of the block I have sitting?

Update:

I myself am leaning toward the 460. No replacement for displacement, right? And like Ryan said, the 460 is such a bad ass motor. Ok, so most will say, just build the 460, but I've heard very good things about the 400. Another thing is cost... I'm looking to spend no more than $5000 in parts. That doesn't sound like a whole lot, but pinching pennies, and finding those great deals will make $5000 go a lonnng way.

I would really love to hear the 400 guys, and why they prefer the 400 over the famous 460

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The 460 is just such a badass motor.

Ryan

What if I build 2 of the exact same trucks, one with a 400, one with a 460? Good idea, right? I'm taking donations.

A 460 does sound real good, especially if I can get a deal on a stroker rotating assembly (521-545 oooooo), but I've always wanted to build a surprising 400, because nobody around here believes!

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
What if I build 2 of the exact same trucks, one with a 400, one with a 460? Good idea, right? I'm taking donations.

A 460 does sound real good, especially if I can get a deal on a stroker rotating assembly (521-545 oooooo), but I've always wanted to build a surprising 400, because nobody around here believes!

You would still be tied

Yeah it is tied. It won't do any good to get Conner in here to vote, you don't have 300 option in your poll...:rolleyes:

I couldn't do it. Sure, they are bomb proof, and are known for torque... But I wouldn't want to pop the hood to show anybody... smilieneenar

Eagle-300, no thank you sir.

Yeah it is tied. It won't do any good to get Conner in here to vote, you don't have 300 option in your poll...:rolleyes:

Haha. I voted 400 because I have seen some brutal builds and its a great motor. :)

I couldn't do it. Sure, they are bomb proof, and are known for torque... But I wouldn't want to pop the hood to show anybody... smilieneenar

Even with a dual carb intake? Turbo kits? Chromed headers? It would be a beast. :p

Haha. I voted 400 because I have seen some brutal builds and its a great motor. :)

Even with a dual carb intake? Turbo kits? Chromed headers? It would be a beast. :p

Would be interesting, thats for sure...

PS+ No offence to all you guys rocking a 300... They are nice motors.

nice...

Would be interesting, thats for sure...

PS+ No offence to all you guys rocking a 300... They are nice motors.

nice...

It has more torque than either of your current engines in stock form, and could probably take them in a race. :)

Its a damn nice motor. YelloThumbUp :rofl:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
quit blabbing about your 300 in the thread. let's keep it on topic. And no, it doesn't have more torque than those motors - not for a second would I believe that. My 351w has a better torque curve on anything past about 1100 than the 300, and it's a puny 351 ci

Ryan

quit blabbing about your 300 in the thread. let's keep it on topic. And no, it doesn't have more torque than those motors - not for a second would I believe that. My 351w has a better torque curve on anything past about 1100 than the 300, and it's a puny 351 ci

Ryan

Sure a 351W rivals it, but an inefficient 70s 351M probably doesnt. And the Mod motors arent exactly known for torque.

And FYI, Brad brought it up.

Sorry for the thread crapping Derek.

Ford Truck Articles