Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4.0 OHV head gasket replacement

FTF'er

I recently had the pleasure of tearing town my first 4.0 OHV engine. It's in a '93 Ranger. I've got a couple questions...

1. What size socket do I need to put the bolts back in for the fuel rail? They are a very small star shaped bolt. I used a six point socket to get them out, but don't want to take a chance of having a problem putting them back in. I may use two nuts, tighten them together, then use a regular socket... that may work.

2. The rocker assembly. I haven't looked at my Ford FSM on it yet because I don't have a cd drive on my computer, but how do I put it back on? Is it as simple as following a specified torque sequence and rating? I don't have to find TDC ever or rotate the engine?

3. The left head gasket was blown on all 3 cylinders... what's the chances of this thing holding up after I put it back together? The head still looked good, but I haven't brought it to the shop yet.

FTF'er

Never mind. I'm going to make the required repairs by adding 215 cubic inches to the equation.

wyowanderer

I'll answer the last question.
Check the heads for flatness before you reinstall them, and have them magnafluxed if possible. The 244 is a great engine, but the heads tend to crack in the area under the valve cover, especially when they're overheated. If you're not going to have the 'fluxed, at least inspect the tops for cracks visually.
Have fun.

FTF'er

Thanks for the information, I had no idea to check the top of the heads. I'm still gonna swap a 460 in, but I'll keep this 4.0 around if it's still good. Usually I scrap whatever I pull, even if it ran! 'smiliedoh'

Ford Truck Articles