Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

need a carb

I need to replace my carb pretty bad. been to the junkyard and got one but its just as bad. Ive been looking at getting rebuilt ones and for a 1986 it would be 300 to 350 bucks. For earlier years before 85 its about 180. I know that my truck has a lot of stupid sensors built into the carb. Do i need them? im pretty sure i dont because i dont have a real computer in my truck. I dont plan on hooking any of this back up when i replace the engine anyways soo.. can anyone help me with what i can just leave out?

Joe

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sorry not much help here...but I do recall 85/86 were kinda the transition years to FI...and that's why the carb is set up the way it is. I can't remember what all is different or included, but if you plan on using that same set up, yes you'll need all that stuff currently on there. However, if you're planning a rebuild and scrapping the system...go with what you want.

Am i able to just not hook it all back up when i swap my motor? Or actually go through and eliminate them from the wiring harness all together?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
carb for 85-86 is a feedback carb, and is somewhat controlled by the computer, as well as the distributer. to get away from the computer, you have to change to the older style carb, but it don't want to bolt up due to the bolt spaceing. you can do a little trim work with a file, and make sure to keep the gasket centered. change the distributer to the old duraspark type, some of your wireing harness will support the change, pretty much plug and play, get what tou need from the junk yard. there is also a way to take a gm hei modual, and wire it to the duraspark diss, for 40,000volts of great blue spark. I would suggest, to the dismay of others here[sorry] a offenhouser dp, or c intake, with a 2, or 4bbl carb, along with efi exhaust manifolds to really wake up your 300. the 4bbl will give you gobs of power, and by far more fuel economy. my 82 with c6 and 3.55 gears went from 10 mpg to 15. but you have to stay out of the 4bbl. any way I can help, just let me know.C harlie

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts