Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

77 F250 Camper Special

Hi all new to the form. Just picked up a truck from my grandpa that I want to restore. Don't know where to start but after 4 generations I think she deserves to be cleaned up and back on the road.
0355d311161bf11aa8517503be4aa745.jpg
c155862b8224ff49c0e15f6d21e1e3fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Start with making it mechanically sound. Doesn't matter how pretty and shiny it is if it can't move and stop under it's own power. From there, Dennis Carpenter is the go to for quality sheet metal...look for the stuff that says it's made from Ford tooling otherwise it's the same Chinese junk everyone else peddles.

Fellro

Staff member
Got some work to to there, but seems quite doable. As mentioned, make sure it is something that can be driven first, then go after the sheet metal stuff.

Little history behind the truck. My great grandpa bought the truck brand new in 77. As soon as he pulled it off the lot he took it and put a camper in the bed. He then drove the truck from northern Wisconsin to Alaska with my great grandma. The truck was passed onto my grandpa. My Grandpa took my dad and uncles fishing in this truck. My dad in returned took me camping and hunting in her. I hope to return her to her former glory.

Ok so I started a little fire. Thought the solenoid was bad so I replaced it. Hooked it back up and the motor clicked as soon as the battery was connected with the motor off. It started smoking immediately. Obvious shot somewhere any suggestions? Here is how it's hooked up.

Last edited:
Today I changed the starter, cable from start relay to starter, and of course I was sold the wrong negative cable at Oreillys

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Ok so I started a little fire. Thought the solenoid was bad so I replaced it. Hooked it back up and the motor clicked as soon as the battery was connected with the motor off. It started smoking immediately. Obvious shot somewhere any suggestions? Here is how it's hooked up.

Is this still an issue?

Sort of sounds like something could be wrong with the ignition switch or cross-wired at the solenoid.

Yeah still an issues. I think it's prolly the ignition. I only hooked up the positive to the solenoid and it did the same thing

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Question for ya, where does that big black wire run to, the one that is connected to the battery side terminal of the solenoid with the red cable from the battery?

It has been awhile since I could work on the old girl. Still having problems with a short. Replace battery, starting solenoid, and starter. Hook the battery up and it’s obviously shorting out and the solenoid activates the starter[emoji2357][emoji2369].
65df60bcee5c5dd88d5aa97adc4e8885.plist

Fellro

Staff member
Make sure the ground is good. Both from the battery to the block, and also block/battery to fender well. I've seen them stick a bit when the amp draw is too high, just a matter of why it is high.

Ford Truck Articles