Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

"Highboy" question

I was just reading the classifieds, and there is a guy with a 1977 highboy. This is what it reads:
1977 ford pickup, high boy, rebuilt engine, 4X4, SB, $3000

Is there such a thing as a short bed highboy? Or is he just abbreviating small block? Or is this just some goofball with a lifted truck claiming to be a highboy?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
If it's a Short bed than absolutely NOT a highboy.

Highboy is a truck from 73-77.5 F250 4x4 standard cab longbed. It also has a divorced transfercase, power assist steering, in cab fuel tank only. A 360 was the most common engine up to 77 and then in 77 was 351M or 400. Also, the front axle was a closed knuckle D44 up to 77 and in 77 there was the open knuckle front D44.

But the big things are 73-77.5 F250 with divorced transfercase

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think buck nailed it...just gonna add a little more, you could only get a 360 in a high boy until 77...otherwise it's a transplant. You could also get a LPD60 up front as well...I have one.

Oh yeah Chris...post a link and we'll definitely tell you what it is.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I forgot about the LPD60 front end. Ben, was that original in your truck? I thought those were only in the "Snowfighter F250s".

Yes my D60's are original and match the WP. I believe the Sno-Fighter was the introduction to the HPD60 in 78. Then in '79 the 350's got the HPD60 and I'd really like to know if any of the 250's got a HPD60 or if any LPD60's were still around and went in.

Is it a 250?

No shortbed 250's ever.

Yes my D60's are original and match the WP. I believe the Sno-Fighter was the introduction to the HPD60 in 78. Then in '79 the 350's got the HPD60 and I'd really like to know if any of the 250's got a HPD60 or if any LPD60's were still around and went in.

My 79 250 is a Sno-Fighter and it's a factory D60 front. No LPD60's used in 78-79.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
My 79 250 is a Sno-Fighter and it's a factory D60 front. No LPD60's used in 78-79.

So was it just the Sno-Fighters that got the HPD60...or did some of the regular 250's come with them...or was it a possible order option?

Well I'm going out on a limb but I would bet money if you wanted a D60 in a 250 you could order it. I don't believe it had to be a Sno-Fighter to get the 60.

It was in the local paper, no picture. What I posted is all it said. We have a problem with people around here claiming anything anything with any sort of lift as a highboy. I wheeled with a guy once with a 79 f150 short box with ~4" of lift and he claimed it was a highboy. Said something about it being the rare light duty version. It had a married t-case too. When I told him no such thing, he told me I don't know anything. I explained that there were no highboys after 77, they were all long boxes, all f250s, all had divorced t-cases. He told my girlfriend at the time and I got dumped because im an a$$hole. It was a nice truck, he had swapped in a 460, and it did well off-road, but it wasn't no highboy

Unfortunately alot of guys don't know what a true Highboy is. And I'm not taking about an old model Ford roadster either.

I don't think I could have done what I've done with my truck without the forum.
Amen to that. I haven't done much to blue yet, due to money, but just the gained knowledge is nice. Now when talking about ol fords with some of my dads buddies, I actually know what they are talking about, and sometimes know something they don't

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts