Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

California or Bust

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So I'll be living in California for (at least) two years come June.

I'm curious if I should swap my ID tags and DL for CA ones.

Any thoughts from the CA groupies?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
im very sorry to hear that your moving to California. its so sad to see weve lost yet another soul to the evil bear state. good luck and god speed

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Check the numbers...

When I came to college in Maine, I had my truck registered at home in Massachusetts, but "garaged" here in Maine on the ins. paperwork. Next year, moved DL, reg, ins. etc. to Maine. Tags and exise tax are a bit higher ($100/year instead of $50/year) but my insurance bill dropped by more than 50%...which is a lot when you're a 19 year old male with a pickup truck and a not-quite-spotless driving record.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Absolutely freakin' not Eric. Between the smog stuff and the fees, hang onto those Idaho plates for as long as you can. Ditto your driver's license.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
law says 10 working days is what you have once you establish residency. Military is exempt and I *THINK* students are also.

Long as you stay on the right side of the law I wouldn't give up the Idaho ones either.

Worst case scenario is you get a fixit ticket for not having a CA lic and CA reg.

Almost guarantee ins would be higher here also.

Resident defined:
516. "Resident" means any person who manifests an intent to live or
be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient
basis. Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month
period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.
The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle
(a) Address where registered to vote.
(b) Location of employment or place of business.
(c) Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher
education.
(d) Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.
(e) Filing a homeowner's property tax exemption.
(f) Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.
(g) Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other
privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
(h) Possession of a California driver's license.
(i) Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in
the state is more than temporary or transient.

Last edited:
I believe, students and military are exempt in all states due to the fact they don't officially live there. I know that is the fact with at least Wa and Or. Has to do with just being in the state for educational/military reasons.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
law says 10 working days is what you have once you establish residency. Military is exempt and I *THINK* students are also.

Long as you stay on the right side of the law I wouldn't give up the Idaho ones either.

Worst case scenario is you get a fixit ticket for not having a CA lic and CA reg.

Almost guarantee ins would be higher here also.

Resident defined:
516. "Resident" means any person who manifests an intent to live or
be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient
basis. Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month
period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.
The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle
(a) Address where registered to vote.
(b) Location of employment or place of business.
(c) Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher
education.
(d) Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.
(e) Filing a homeowner's property tax exemption.
(f) Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.
(g) Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other
privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
(h) Possession of a California driver's license.
(i) Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in
the state is more than temporary or transient.

Good post Aaron. Residence can also be determined by convenience (ahem)... and opportunity. When I went to school in Oregon, I couldn't change driver's license and plates fast enough. Was... and still is... dirt cheap for tags, still no sales tax.

One rule of thumb I have learned- in any event, it's a good idea to have matching driver's license and tags. If they don't, the questions start.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Eh... I think it's a good place for him.

Keep 'em all in the same place, it's easier to keep tabs on them.

IMO, going somewhere that's not only a ways from home geographically, but also politically/socially is almost always worth it, especially for just a couple years... Love it or hate it, you'll learn something about yourself.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
One rule of thumb I have learned- in any event, it's a good idea to have matching driver's license and tags. If they don't, the questions start.

Here's a thought, my main driver is owned and registered by my parents and always has been, only thing that would be mine down here is my bike (for certain) and possibly my bronco. So would it matter then??

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Eric keep your idaho stuff unless there is a reason to change it. Save yourself some money and aggravation.

I believe, students and military are exempt in all states due to the fact they don't officially live there. I know that is the fact with at least Wa and Or. Has to do with just being in the state for educational/military reasons.

ACTIVE duty military are in fact exempt from the registration and DL stuff. Students are also unless they start having jobs, paying taxes etc ie: establishing residency things.

And yeah some people, usually people leaving CA, do it as quick as possible mostly for money saving reasons

Last edited:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Here's another one for the Sacramento area renters and such, are there any places that you guys know of that'll allow a larger dog (6mo/60lbs)? We don't care about a pet fee but its either take him with us OR find him a new home and we really don't want the latter because he is a bit of a handful in a few cases....

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Here's another one for the Sacramento area renters and such, are there any places that you guys know of that'll allow a larger dog (6mo/60lbs)? We don't care about a pet fee but its either take him with us OR find him a new home and we really don't want the latter because he is a bit of a handful in a few cases....
They're out there. Not a true rule of thumb, kind of hit and miss.

Unfortunately, the places that are most likely going to allow a dog that size are the places that don't mind the apartments getting chewed up (crappy places). But there are always places out there that are a good fit, just keep lookin' ;)

California DL ID

California is strict. You will only have a few days to put in a change of address and change your drivers license and get California license plates or the state will impose penalties.

Ford Truck Articles