Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'77 250 4x4 Power Assist Steering

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...my Power Assist steering box has officially taken a crap. I tried the JBG seals/repair kit a few months back, but now the fluid just seems to drain out of the box. So what I'm looking for is...what are my options from here? I really haven't found anyone that just makes a reman'd box, so that means I'd have to find one in a yard...and who knows how much better it would be. I was also thinking of upgrading to a '79 set up if it was possible. So if anyone has any tips, tricks or insights...lay them on me. Thanks guys.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You referring to the Thompson power assist ram?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The lines that leave the box, do they go to a hydraulic ram attached to the center link and axle tube?

I never had one of those on any of my rigs...

At least I can't tell if I have from those blurry pics.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I hafta make a call to someone Ben...I had that set-up on my old 77 and it went for $hit....no promises as I haven't talked to him in a long time.
BTW...good to see you here!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
When you comin back fulltime, Ben?

HAHA...when I get my vacation and head back to school. My family is keeping me awfully busy with ball games, chores and family outings. I am also doing part time work here and there for family friends at a local 4wd shop and a construction company (mainly grunt work). But rest assured, I'll keep checking in.

But back to the topic...anyone have any part sources for a 77 Power assist steering box??????

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Ed (75F350) would be great at giving you some insight. He's given me some ideas that I'm contemplating. I'm not sure if you have his email or not or if he's a member here. I'm trying to learn about this as well. I've already done the upgrade with the 78/79 F250 4x4 push/pull type, but I want to do a crossover or inverted T. But, since I have a D44, I'd have to go with the inverted T style by reorienting my pitman arm to swing right/left and get a tire rod and connect to my drag link where my old power assist used to be. The only thing with these styles is the spring clearance since I don't have any lift. I'm not sure what kind of clearance issue's there is. There may be some fabbing to be done. Using a crossover type or inverted T type, I've heard that you can use a Gearbox that mounts to the outside of the frame rather than the 78/79 F250 4x4 one that I have and had to cut the frame and weld in a mounting plate.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
That's a good link. One reason why people are trying to upgrade their steering systems from the Power assist is not only because rebuild kits are expensive, but they are getting hard to find.

Buck, referring to changing the gear box when doing a crossover conversion, from what I understand and have gathered from the ol' watercooler, was certain year models (78, 79 F250s) don't need different gear boxes. Pull the pitman arm off, reinstall at 90 degrees from OEM installation, install the draglink to a passenger side steering arm and that's it.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Buck, referring to changing the gear box when doing a crossover conversion, from what I understand and have gathered from the ol' watercooler, was certain year models (78, 79 F250s) don't need different gear boxes. Pull the pitman arm off, reinstall at 90 degrees from OEM installation, install the draglink to a passenger side steering arm and that's it.

That's what I'm gathering too. Oh, about changing gearboxes, I need to clarify. What I meant there was that if doing a conversion with crossover, rather than trying to find a 78/79 F250 4x4 one (hard to find and expensive), one could use a gearbox that mounts to outside of the frame rail as the F150 and Bronco boxes did to set up for crossover.

to answer some questions, first off the part in question is called a power steering CONTROL VALVE not a gearbox.

autozone has them listed for about $400 plus 85 for a core charge. there are other websites out there that rebuild them all about the same price, the most important thing to remember is this, RETURN YOUR CORE!!!!

i spent 4 hours at an advance auto parts counter on the phone on hold waiting for the guy at the rebuild place to tell me that the reason i cant order this part is because NO ONE has returned their core yet. the guy was very nice though he offered to have me send my original in and for 150-200 i cant remeber wich he would rebuild it. at the time i couldnt have my truck down for the 2-4weeks it would take so i sourced mine elsewhere. but now the truck steers like a million bucks!!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for all the info guys.

Buck you were kinda eluding to the process of putting a 78/9 box on a '77...do you have any more info on that?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Thanks for all the info guys.

Buck you were kinda eluding to the process of putting a 78/9 box on a '77...do you have any more info on that?

The 78/79 F250 4x4 conversion is what I went with, but did require some modification to the inside of the frame to mount the box. This gives you the idea of what I had to

DSC00454-1.jpg

DSC00448-1.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts