Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 questions

emtzach

i get paid to do this
what is the mileage on it now? In any case I have heard alot about just doing the egr delete kit seems to make most of the fuel system and head gasket issues go away. read alot about it on another site.

Don, if memory serves me correctly, the late '06's and all of the '07's were built with the "commonized" heads.

emtzach

i get paid to do this
I know the head gasket issues were corrected, more or less but the fuel delivery was always a problem if the egr started to get even slightly blocked. I know evryone that has a 6.0 in that other forum has also upgraded the intake exhaust and chips. just a thought pm me if you want the other forum

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Im pm'd vince...
See what i find out. Bought to call them myself see what else i can find out.
Called, i assume they have the wrong number listed, as the number i called is disconnected...

Last edited:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Get the vin and pm it to Vince or Dave, they'll be able to tell you a bunch about that very truck.
YEP!! Definately!!

I have an 06 too. Not so much anymore, but THAT was MY fault. It's a good year. As long as the report from Dave or Vince is clear, I wouldn't fret!

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I would not hesitate to get back into an 06 6.0 with proper maintenance documentation.

I had a lot of fears when I bought it and made a few panicked calls and trips to the dealer but I found that I was probably over sensitive to things that were NON issues because of what I had read. Like others have said, talk to the techs and get the straight scoop on it and don't buy into the hype.

***PURE SPECULATION BELOW***
I would bet if actual numbers were pulled on all the 6.0 engines manufactured and used in the SD's by Ford that there would only be a small percentage of those with legit manufactures defects and an even smaller percentage of those where Ford did not step up to the plate and repair them. Especially with the availability of means for people to air their grievances like the internet, the problems are seemed to be magnified

I likes my '06...had to replace an oil cooler and an egr cooler, but that's not uncommon....should have installed a coolant filter a long tome ago.

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Personnally, if I was looking at a vehicle with thoughts of purchasing it, and under the hood was a CAI and exhaust modifications, I'd shut the hood and find something else. I definately wouldn't buy it with an egr delete.

I had an 05 and it sucked.

However I bought that truck new, not used. That I think is the key difference. For whatever reason some 6.0's didn't run right off the showroom floor. It took a few trips to the dealer to get them dialed in.

The problem I had with it was it was my light duty dump and I needed it to run right immediately after purchase. The constant trips to the dealer were causing schedule interruptions, lost productivity, and costing me money. So I got out of it.

A used one with 74K I would think about buying, actually. That's somethijng I'd definetely consider, odds are decent it's been to the dealer enough times to get it to run right and work out all the bugs. The Ford dealer did alright with me when I decided to get out of my 6.0, if he called me up and told me he had a good one I'd take a look at it. Probably demo it for a week at least. I'm still gun shy about the engine.

That's my take on the 6.0 for what it's worth.

Ford Truck Articles