Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

7.3 violent idle

I have a an 01 7.3. I went camping up at 8500 elev. I can back down to about 3000 and the truck died the next day out of the driveway. I started it up again and it acted like it was out of fuel with the worst idle and engine shake I've ever seen. I scanned codes they said all driver side glows had issues. I replaced the module with the green and black plug because the old one had the biggest pin with melted plastic on the black plug.. Codes still there. Also threw a code for the icp but I unplugged icp when it had good idol and the idle changed also there's no oil on the plug. Not sure what is going on. The high elev glow plugs of icp? I need help just bought from private sale please if anyone sees this that can help HELP!!!

Not that anyone here helped me out......... but I just thought I would share it... The symptoms on my truck stopped. I have a six gun and the connections on either that or the icp are bugared up. I rattled the wires around and it runs perfect . If anyone else gets ZERO replies or help here like a ton of other forums try messing with your wires... It was as simple as that

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks for the post on your findings...it is appreciated.

Did you investigate the connections?...if they were Scotch-Locked or just plain crimped you might want to see what is what.

Even the so called "pro's" often just use a butt spice with the wrong tool to crimp..might be worth looking at.

Let us know what you find.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
So I wasnt able to find any bad wires. All I did was take the connections (icp pig tail and banks tuner wires) apart and scrub them with a tooth brush.. Seemed to work idles and rpms are perfect now. As for the horrible idle issue I had codes for all four driver side glow plugs. I changed the silver glow plug relay because one of the pins was melted and it seemed to fix that issue. Now there is no check engine light it cleared use of and its back to normal...:nana::nana:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Something to keep in mind with our site here is that we dont have a great amount of "foot traffic" so to speak.. So sometimes it does take some time for replies to come in. While there are some diesel guys here we have way more gasser drivers. Also Ive seen on larger sites too with higher foot traffic there are posts of people asking questions and not getting any answers.. not because people dont know but simply because those posts quickly get buried with the rapid replies to others.. to every site theres good and bad parts..

We have 1 certified ford tech to answer techie questions when he has time, but lately has been out for personal reasons. Unlike on other sites our members here do not try to give out shotgun answers like you find on bigger forums. For example with other forums youll have say someone thats only driven a Miata and trys to diagnose a vehicle they have never had/or worked on offering non-helpful suggestions. We try to avoid that by letting our members that are familiar with the vehicle in question diagnose those problems.. While yes it can take longer for responses the end result can be more helpful.

Ford Truck Articles