Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 Bronco power steering problem

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I have a 79 Bronco that I am throwing together so the kids can have a woods buggy. I'm running into a problem with the power steering. It only has power when you turn right. This leads me to think it is in the box and not the pump. Opinions?

Thanks, Tony

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yeah, the pump only supplies the pressure, the box distributes it according to steering request.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
It's the wonderful Ford steering gear box. Don't bother rebuilding it either, get a rebuilt unit from Napa...better quality than the ones from autozone or the other gypo sellers. To remove the Pitman arm, you'll need a pickle fork = Pitman arm puller. Also pay close attention to the 3 little pigs, the 3 bolts that hold the box to the frame rail, the bolts may be broken = common. The frame may be cracked, too. Just like the crappy gearbox, the 3 little pigs, a cracked frame on Bronco's or F100/150's is somewhat common.

I'm so glad we got you guys on here for advice like this... thanks!

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Thanks for the input guys. Thats what I was thinking, but I wanted the opinions of those more experienced. I guess I'll have to buy a reman box. I was thinking about the junkyard, but I'd probably get junk lol. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Well? Did ya get it?

This post serves two purposes: 1.) I get the answer I'm looking for, and B.) I no longer have to see a post that reads "ryan is my hero"
:rofl:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Yup, I got a rebuilt. $229 from Napa. Works great. Power steering both ways.

And whats wrong with Ryan being somebodies hero? :nana:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
UPDATE:

The reman box is leaking already. Not bad, but enough to bother me. I called NAPA yesterday and they will have a replacement for me Monday. I really shouldn't bother, because the Bronco will never see on road use, but a warranty is a warranty.

Ford Truck Articles