Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

nasty vibration around 45 mph

I have a nasty vibration that starts at 45 mph and it doesn't stop. U-joints in the driveshaft look good and the weight is still on the driveshaft do you with the driveshaft needs rebalanced? Its so bad I can't put my hand on the 2wd and 4wd selector stick because its vibrating so much. My truck does have 3.5 inch lift.

Fellro

Staff member
Make certain your tires are good, a broken belt will make for a nasty shake...

its a single cab long box so theres no carrier bearing. I do happen to have aggressive mud tires on it but they are in good shape and other ideas you guys can think of. Would you guys think if the previous owner didn't mark the driveshaft to reinstall it would cause a vibration?

Fellro

Staff member
Has it had a lift kit installed?

Usually a u-joint bearing will have a clank noise when putting it from park
to reverse,an drive,so if it dosnt do it then,then it maybe what was already
mentioned.:)

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i would get the tires balance rechecked... its cheap to have done and easy place to start... would also look at the engine/tranny mounts themselfs... if theyve gone bad they can allow the driveline to shift positions causing a misalignment vibration as well..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Multiple sources are always good....esp. when they get asked here :D

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a nasty vibration that starts at 45 mph and it doesn't stop. U-joints in the driveshaft look good and the weight is still on the driveshaft do you with the driveshaft needs rebalanced? Its so bad I can't put my hand on the 2wd and 4wd selector stick because its vibrating so much. My truck does have 3.5 inch lift.
You're not by any chance experiencing the "death wobble" are you? Usually starting after hitting a bump/seam in the road, and not stopping until speed is reduced.

And what? :suspicious: A guy can't look for help from multiple sources?

How did you read what I typed into that ?

For the record i suggest people come here.

Why did you assume what you did?

I didn't deserve that.

If it came on quickly I'd look for missing wheel weights. Many things wear out and start causing vibrations, but they usually develop gradually. A sudden change is something letting go or breaking most of the time.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts