Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Doing head gaskets on the 50!

Thanks for the suggestions I will try anything at this point. I hope the head is usable after I get it off. A new set is $500. Since the car is going to be down for a few weeks now I'm going order the stud kit and composite gasket set. While I'm at I will order a new chrome cap set for the bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those old flatheads are a kick in the butt. In my high school days I had a '53 coupe with the same Edlebrock heads you have, and an Edmunds Custom three-deuce aluminum manifold. Stromburg 97 carbs with homemade progressive linkage. My younger brother "borrowed" the car after I moved away from my parents home after high school and ran it out of water. Cooked the engine! I still miss that car...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Those old flatheads are a kick in the butt. In my high school days I had a '53 coupe with the same Edlebrock heads you have, and an Edmunds Custom three-deuce aluminum manifold. Stromburg 97 carbs with homemade progressive linkage. My younger brother "borrowed" the car after I moved away from my parents home after high school and ran it out of water. Cooked the engine! I still miss that car...

Funny what trggers those kind of memories....I feel you pain!

I haven't had any time to work on the 50 yet it has been sitting all this time I have been busy moving and remodeling a kitchen. My aunt who now owns the 50 after my uncle passed is having it "restored" or I call it freshing up. The guy who is doing the work said he will get the bolts out and get the heads back on so I will try to get a video once we get the car back after it's finished. I think it's really only getting some light interior work and a fresh paint job the car is in great shape. It was restored 30 plus years ago and I still keep in touch with guy who originally owned it and restored it, he was good friends with my uncle.

Since it looks like the I'm going to have to get the 50 running im going to pull the engine. We have another complete flathead that's good that I'm going to swap in. I will take more pics when I get stated later this week. First I have to put a front wheel cylinder on the 66 implala that's in the way so I can take it out while I'm swapping engines.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I just found this post - too bad it didn't make it to the 48-52 truck forum. Flatheads are spoken there - doesn't matter that it is in a car.

To get the bolts out, use an impact wrench. Never open end or wratchet - they put too much torque on one side only. The air wrench puts the force evenly all around.

If you need other help with the flatty, let me know. There are a bunch of knowledgable guys down in the other forum.

Thanks! I see part of the reason the head is not budging it looks like the bolt does have a slight taper at the top right below the head of the bolt. If I drilled the bolts a little I think it help but the endings would have to come out to get a strait shot at the lower bolts. I hate to lose the Edelbrock head... But for now my aunt wants it running so we can get it out of the building and the other flattie ran great before it was pulled and would be an easy swap.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
You might try tightening them just a bit to break them loose, then back out with the impact wrench. With a little care you should be able to save the heads. Broken bolts aren't fun but can be removed by careful drilling. It's a lot easier with the engine out on the floor.

There is another option if the stub of the bolt is high enough - put a washer over the broken stub and then a nut. Weld the nut to the bolt stub. When cool, turn it out - the heat from welding is usually enough to break it loose. I've never been able to get it to work, but the old-timers swear by it.

There's no shame in swapping engines. Easy enough in the trucks, but I haven't taken one out of a car. However, the blocks are the same and all accessories will swap from one engine to the other. Ask if you have questions. Enjoy the project.

Last edited:
Started the process of pulling the engine. Got a lot done in a few hours time to call it a night and get back at tomorrow.
01f6e0813f17ddf731cdadbe838a97e4.jpg
39da6827342c8379bf1f3060bf57b97e.jpg
e88c2bf41a33302f07c1c2455f8566bd.jpg

Had a long productive day working on the 50 for the other engine set in but not fully bolted up. I will continue another day thus coming week.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Those are some great pics...nice progress!

I really hate that it won't be running the edelbrock heads or the four barrel for now. I will see once I get the head of the other engine if it's usable. Then at a later date put the heads and the four barrel back on. I loved to look but for now it just needs to run more than look cool.

Worked on the 50 some more tonight! Have a few items left to do. I have a few more things to tighten and some minor wiring to hook up and the radiator has to go back in but it's getting close to being able to try and start up. I might get some time over the weekend to get it running.
ca53a43d59ec372d1648c1fd8b08679f.jpg
354ddfddeeee57418bb580e748b00ac0.jpg
e07fe5a72cc040a29cee2f169c1c8035.jpg
a15d1ec4914acb4697e077062139def4.jpg
73c1d192009f1a894a937f88b91db8d6.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Running pretty smoothly in that 2nd video!

sounds great

Ford Truck Articles