Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Motor swap.

I have a 1960 f 250 with the 292 y block and borg-warner t98 4 speed. The motor is locked up and I haven't had any luck in freeing it. Does anyone know what other engines will bolt up to the trans

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Well if I remember right the Y block has its own bellhousing pattern that doesn't match with any other engines. You're basically looking at a 272, 292, or 312 for a direct replacement. On the other hand I think the T98 is about like the T18 bellhousing wise so you could just get a bellhousing from a later model and go to a 302, 351, or whatever you like.

from my digging the t98 has it own bell housing pattern that is diffrent then a t18
t98 left ,3 speed right
IMG_20120421_142326.jpg

t18
url]

t19/ np435
460-2.JPG

a quick ebay search didnt find much for t98 bell housings. maybe a latter modle trans is in order

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Yes, you're right about that. I remembered incorrectly. At the risk of being wrong again I think a T18 would be almost a direct replacement for the T98

i think your right on that as well. part of me want to say the a t19 will in place of a t18, but i have been wrong before. and one could get a close ratio t19 for a more road friendly truck

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I am pretty damn certain that T18/T19 are interchangeable af far as bolt patterns and dimensions. Runs in my mind some of the T19s were synchro in first gear as well which wouldn't be a bad deal.

Thanks for all the information. I think I will start looking for a newer donor truck if I can't unlock this engine pretty soon

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

i unlocked a and old chevy 252 for grins back in high school. i pulled the head off, got the crank shaft out and let 1/2 a gallon of pb blaster sit on the pistons for a week. then wailed on the pistons with 8 lb hammer and a block of wood... block needed bored but everything came free... steel pistons can really rust themselves in there.

Ford Truck Articles