Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rotted Frame Repair

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
So I finally got around to getting the frame ready on the new plow truck. Here are some pics. Gotta finish it up in the next few days. Got all the grunt work done today.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Holy crap that was some rust!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Im going to put the flat bed on it, and say good bye lmao

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
spring Perch holes drilled, cross-member welded in, and some holes where the old frame and new frame meet just for extra strength!

Sold the stock bed off this truck today so I didnt get much work done as we had to load it into truck, and yea he didnt bring a trailer.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Well I bolted the spring perch on and shackles. Then moved truck out so I could seep the floor.

Filled a 5 gal bucket up with rust lmao

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Aside from literally trashing your vehicle via collision, plowing has got to be the TOUGHEST thing you can do to a truck.

Ryan

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I think it was a salt truck, as the front frame is still really solid unlike the rear!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ready for aluma bed test fit. Everything Mounted and bolted down, not tight but enough to know it will fit and work. Finished with new shock mount, there the 80-97 Style ones. And bolted the overload spring perch on also.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea I def didnt know what I was thinking when I decided to buy this truck, oh well, must press on and finish what I started

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
what kind and brand drill bits did you use to drill through that steel?? seems like no matter what i get i cant get any thatll drill nicely through thick steel...

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech

Fellro

Staff member
Yep, gotta work your way up. Can't typically go through as a single pass. I step it a little faster, start around 3/16, then jump to 5/16-3/8, then to 1/2.The 1/2 will walk around and generally lose the edge if you try making it in one pass. Even the 3/8 won't tend to do real well on a single run, the 3/16 pilot is important.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
They are the most expensive ones from Harbor Freight. I start real small like 3/16 then work my way up jumping 1 bit size at a time, that works for me most of the time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/115-piece-cobalt-drill-bit-set-47653.html

how quick were they? meaning was it taking forever to drill through or did it go though like you were drilling through wood?

Yep, gotta work your way up. Can't typically go through as a single pass. I step it a little faster, start around 3/16, then jump to 5/16-3/8, then to 1/2.The 1/2 will walk around and generally lose the edge if you try making it in one pass. Even the 3/8 won't tend to do real well on a single run, the 3/16 pilot is important.

ohh i know.. my problem is i do alot of not only hard steel drilling but thick steel. but can never find a decent drill bit anymore. Have tried titanium nitride coated, cobalts, different mfgs of both.. all results the same.. either gets halfway through the material then stops cutting or doesnt even want to start to begin with...

have thought a few times of getting them drill dr things and seeing if i can fix the ones that snapped or became dull..

Fellro

Staff member
The titanium coated ones are a joke. Once you sharpen them, the coating is gone. When I used to work as a welder, they place I worked had some awesome bits. Biggest thing is to keep the sharp and cool. Once they get heated, they go dull. You don't want too steep of a bite either, they will fail faster. We actually used to use an upright belt sander to sharpen them.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
The titanium coated ones are a joke. Once you sharpen them, the coating is gone. When I used to work as a welder, they place I worked had some awesome bits. Biggest thing is to keep the sharp and cool. Once they get heated, they go dull. You don't want too steep of a bite either, they will fail faster. We actually used to use an upright belt sander to sharpen them.

found that out the first time i used em... snapped 3 of them.. great for soft woods and plastics... crap for anything else...

ive been wanting an upright sander.. but dont have the room for it... nor a horizontal band saw...

welders what i actually went to school for... pretty good at it... but couldnt get work doing it here... stupid catch 22's

Fellro

Staff member
Wow, welding is something that is pretty much everywhere...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Wow, welding is something that is pretty much everywhere...

wasnt saying there arent those kind of jobs here... its just they dont want to hire people with "limited experience" like i have.. through the school i have the equivalent to 1 yrs experience. everyone hiring wants 10+yrs. (catch 22 i was referring too.. need exp to get the jobs but cant get the jobs to get the exp).. and they know they can get those people with all the retired military in the area.. which i dont call them guys welders.. theyre burners not welders.. every time i see some "welders" from the military welds theyre pretty suckish..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts