Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'49 F6 Almost Guaranteed

havi

third member
I finally got my F6 home. It only took a few years, but today it seems the wait was worth it. It's a 158" WB, 2sp. rear end, 1C for color (offwhite of some sort, painted reddish orange on the outside), has an assortment of lockring 20's and WM's, crashbox 4sp., and a 7H I6 replaced by an EAB V8 (bronze?)

Plans are to pull the engine for rebuild and put into my F1. The flat 6 I have w/T98 was my plan, but may change over time. Mainly want to get the chassis gone through and painted, and go from there. This will be a parade truck w/12' stake bed and carrier for my tractor. A long journey has finally entered its next chapter. :)

I'll figure out pics later.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Congratulations man! It's always nice to make progress of any sort.

What year? I forget.... crs disease is fully functional lol

Color 1C ? I'm drawing a blank - 10 maybe? Can't wait to see pics.

I saw on FB the dumptruck left... if he ever decides he doesn't want the dump box, I'd love to have a chance at it.

havi

third member
Tim, the 1C was questioned awhile ago by texan2004 with another's truck from Kansas City (where this one came from too), and he suggested it might be 10 as well. Looking at it again, I notice the C has a different radius than the first digit, so it likely is a 0

July28th2012056.jpg

July28th2012057.jpg

July28th2012058.jpg

July28th2012027.jpg

July28th2012067.jpg

Check out the waterpumps. I can't seem to win in this department, lol. Notice they are two different diameters from each other (and narrows)

I'll let him know about the box. Ironically, while going up to get it, I saw another one ('48-50 w/dump box) in a field next to a big KB IH

Last edited:

havi

third member
I spelled Guaranteed wrong, if a mod or admin could fix, that'd be great! thanks

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I spelled Guaranteed wrong, if a mod or admin could fix, that'd be great! thanks

Fixed it for ya!

Nice truck- looks like a great project!

havi

third member
Cranks over when I jumped it! 40+ years it sat in the woods, and whatdya know. :)

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
We all get lucky once in awhile Scott. Hope it's sound as a dollar - er, even better than that these days : >

Waterpumps are always a puzzle - most I've seen had different pulleys r/l but the diameter is usually the same.

What's the rest of that cowl stamp? 10 KC 5J 49 if I'm reading it right? And I'm real nosy about the vin for the data collection. pm me if you'd rather not post it, please.

10 color - probably Sunland Beige which would make it a 1950 unless your off-white was a faded gray.
Kansas City assembly plant
Date assembled - 5 September
49 - vehicle down the line

Funny about the steel dump boxes - they just don't seem to be around here. I may just have to break down and buy one complete - just what I need lol

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Can you get a clear picture of the waterpump at the motor mount? Something looks strange....car or '53 truck pumps?

Plus the cast iron pulley is odd - thot those were older. All of mine are stamped steel

havi

third member
Tim, I've been emailing back and forth with Ross today, picking his brain. It appears it is indeed a '53 or so EAB flathead. The pump/belt configuration is the same as Ross's, and is different than the older truck versions (think the big diamond shaped belt as opposed to the double triangle like Ross's) Or as I mentioned, Van Pelt's pic: Strato-star EAB vs. Fig. 92 in the shop manual. As a newer style engine, I'm hoping to put the older pumps and wide pulleys (crank too) onto this engine to make it fit my F1 with no problems. (parts from my cracked 8BA from an F2) Since it turns over, I'll try to get it running instead of an immediate tear down, and will try to clean and paint it before installing.... waiting on the chassis to be done first, and it'll sit in the F6 in the meantime.

The F6 serial # is: 97H TH 238923

The color looks more like a faded grey. The orange body color was brushed on, and was also applied to the engine making it look bronze, until I wirebrushed it. I searched the cast vs stamped pulley, and AFAIK, it's believed that the newest ones were cast. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62750

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
It's hard to say what was original anymore. This website of Jim Marlett's teardown of an original 53 truck flathead shows pressed steel pulleys. http://flatheaddrag.com/gpf/gpf3front.html

Ross' engine came from a car as he has finally figured out. His narrow pulleys and crank AND the fordbarn discussion may refer only to car engines.

Who knows for sure??? Thanks for the info - I already have that vin in the databank - you must have shared it earlier. It's nice to add the firewall details!

The vin is clearly 49 - and 49 had only one gray.

havi

third member
I posted the vin on FTE a long time ago from a blurry picture I took. What Ross describes as his is the same as mine, and very well could be a car engine. Vin and battery tray indicate it was a smaller flat 6 originally. Hoping to find a buildable 254 to swap in, since I have the 8MTH intake and stuff. I'm not going for a true resto, but would like it to at least appear original. I need to get the ball rolling and finish up this Summer's projects so I can get it into the garage for Winter. These continuous 80+ degree days aren't helping any.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Yeah, that is unusual to find an H six in a two ton truck but that's what the vin shows. I thought the 254 M was standard along with the T98 4 spd synchro trans.

That would explain the unusual motor mounts that resemble those of a six cylinder.

I'm waiting on parts from Mac's - has put a temporary hold on my 50 project, but they should be here this week. Also have a local glass shop cutting a new windshield for me. It might be done tomorrow!

Our weather has finally gotten warm and dry - about time. This corner of the state has had record rainfall for June and July - go figure...

tinman52

Tin bender
Sure looks like a car V8 to me......narrow belts and cast crank pulley. Those water pumps look to be converted with a piece of strap iron to fit the truck chassis....I've seen that done quite a bit.
Get that thing running!!!!

havi

third member
Sure looks like a car V8 to me......narrow belts and cast crank pulley. Those water pumps look to be converted with a piece of strap iron to fit the truck chassis....I've seen that done quite a bit.
Get that thing running!!!!

Exactly what you see here. smilieIagree

I had better luck than my friend who got the dumptruck, he found cracks in the heads. :(

I never messed with it cuz it was too complete to use for parts, so it just sat. If only I had checked it out, I might have saved him the sad surprise.

Ford Truck Articles