Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rotted Frame Repair

Fellro

Staff member
I know what you are saying there, they always want experience, but are generally unwilling to let you get it... We are hiring welders, but they don't pay them very well by comparison, so then they get experience with us and then move on to where the pay is better.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
thats one of the problems with the experienced ones... they want more money than whats being offered.. and yeah the companies dont want to pay it but they also dont feel like hiring the ones who would take it without the exp for the training and have them leave...

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea deff. Doesnt take too long to drill through, tho the truck frame was harder to drill through then the steel I used.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I drove the truck home today and flipped the bed over and ordered the spool gun for my mig welder so i can weld all the alumn up on the bed!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
homedepo.com had it for the best price for my Lincoln welder. Other then paying tax it was still cheaper shipped to my house. I even got an extra roll of alumn wire.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
what model lincol nya got??

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have several welder buddies.....they make around 180k per year.

Fellro

Staff member
Must be pipe welders

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Must be pipe welders

Yep....and I was off.....good buddy is subbing at around 25k per month.

This comment is not directed at you at all Roger....but I'm just simply amazed that a peon without any kind of University education can make this kind of of $$.

And he has no MBA, student debt or any other associated debt...guess he is in the minority.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Dang that's good coin for a welder.
I took the air tight cert course years ago. Around here a certed welder is lucky to get 12-15 a hour.

That is $$$$ed up....certified "B" here is not a course....it is 4 years of school/apprenticeship.

Employees make 120K per year...subs do better....but there is the sub crap.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
It was a year long class I took in college back in the early 80's.
I think the requirements changed since then.

If I remember the test was to weld x number of pipes and they x rayed them and if they passed your got your cert. The regular welding class you did different welds and they stressed them to see if the welds broke.

Doubt I could pass air tight now I don't weld enough to stay in practice.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I have a 180 Lincoln. I just got the spool gun Friday and started to figure out the settings and whatnot for it. Alumn is way diff to weld. I havent welded alumn since Tech school almost 10 years ago now.

Fellro

Staff member
Pipefitters make extremely good money... They have to pass x ray tests every time too. Lots of liability in their job though.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts