Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > General Conversation

Old 04-13-2019, 06:36 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
Question to Concrete Driveway Installers

I have a couple questions to any of yall that do concrete driveways professionally since i figure youll know this better. Our current driveway was gravel but that has all sunk into the ground with the dirt ending up on top.. Ive been wanting to just get a concrete mixer and doing it in like sections of blocks (maybe like 5'x5' squares or something like that kinda like how walkways are done).. but all i ever hear from anyone i mention it to is whining how you NEED to do it in large slabs (10'x10' or larger...)... Right now all im really wanting to do is make pads or something like that for the vehicles to park on instead of sitting in the yard or dirt where everytime it rains turns the ground into a mudpit under the vehicles..

Also everytime ive mentioned to wanting to do it everyone is like "you need rebar and wire mesh to give it strength or itll crack and break..".. But lately a lot of those home reno-shows have been doing what theyre calling the fibermesh concrete and saying it doesnt need all that rebar and wire mesh stuff for the strength... in which the only parts their showing in the shows is just the outlining of the forms for where they were wanting to pour the concrete, then jumping to a truck pulling up to the house... next thing you see is a fully poured driveway...

Supposedly the fiber concretes cheaper too.. since in the shows theyre always like standard driveways 10K to have done but the fibermesh is 5K to have done...

So my questions are

1. Is it true you really dont need a gravel base, wire mesh and rebar to pour the fiber version concrete?
2. I never hear what the life expectancy is on the fibermesh concrete.. Comparatively whats the life expectancy between the 2 versions (wire & rebar vs the fibermesh)
3. Is it really more cost effective to do the fibermesh or no?

Thanks in advance...

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2019, 06:41 PM

heavydoc has a spectacular aura aboutheavydoc has a spectacular aura about
Great questions, I am looking forward to the answers
Old 04-13-2019, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
I don't see how doing fiber reinforced gains you anything in the end...

If it were mine, I would excavate your existing material down 12", lay down a layer of geotextile, and refill to grade with clean roadbase gravel. I'd do a 4" slab with welded wire for reinforcement, cut expansion joints and seal them so they don't hold water and freeze in the winter. With fiber reinforced concrete you could skip the bull wire or rebar but I would do everything else the same. Just another of those things that you get what you pay for in the long run

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 04-13-2019, 06:56 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
biggest downside to digging down here is just a few inches down tends to be solid stone... like wheres the dynamite to remove it kinda stone... theres several places around the property its poking through the ground...

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 04-13-2019, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Well that will save you some money. If you've got solid stone you don't have to worry about digging any deeper

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 04-14-2019, 04:30 PM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
My garage has fiber in it, but also has pos, which is an additive to make it stronger

You have to go past frost on the edges, if you hit stone, good enough. then put down some stone, or rc6 which is recycled concrete ground to a number 6.as a base under your concrete. I also use a sheet of plastic between the stone and concrete
4" thick slab with mesh and poss will support a medium truck without cracking.
It would be best to pour 10 x 10 pads, but you do what your capable of, as long as you put an expansion joint in it.

My garage floor is 60 x 30 1 expansion in the middle, and has no cracks in 35 years. Even after the earthquake.
It's so hard when I was building the wall for the office, it burned up the hammer drill bits faster than I could drill the anchors.

If you have questions, post them, I'll be more than happy to answer them
Old 04-14-2019, 05:37 PM
Virginia Chapter member

figure visual may help...

this was kinda 1 idea i was thinking of (dunno what this styles called where grass can grow in the middle so made it a pain to search for.. just came across the pic but doesnt have a name with it since it was on pintrest).. but instead of the paver stones... would be more like slabs of concrete for the tires to sit on like a walkway path..

the other way i was thinking... (granted i know those slabs are larger than im describing i want to do so theres just be more sections).. but was also thinking of a sectional slabs that butt up with the expansion joints for the seasonal freeze thaw.. which would make using a jack & jackstands easier than being on gravel and dirt where they just sink in...

i was looking at getting a 3.5cuft mixer to do it with vs getting a big truck to deliver... Dad keeps talking about "someday" getting the driveway regraveled... or a pad/driveway "someday" poured... but his "somedays" tend to turn into 10 years down the road (if that) kind of somedays... last estimate he supposedly got for the 100'x100' pad for in front of the garage he wants to have done he was told would be 100K to have poured...

I was still sort of thinking of doing the rebar between the boxes to tie each slab to each other so they wouldnt teeter totter.. they were going to be poured like a traditional driveway/walkway/porch.. but just smaller boxes than how they traditionally do a driveway... something i could do day to day instead of "ohh we gotta get it done all in one day" sorta thing...

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 PM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Well, you may want to check price,the truck sometimes is cheaper ,and less work. I think may be like a 3 yard minimum
3 yards would do 20' x 10' x 4 "

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2019, 08:15 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Our driveway is 32' by 32' and was poured in 8' squares using the wire instead of rebar at a depth of 4". The expansion joints were sealed. The driveway is about 25 years old with no sign of cracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!