Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dang Ashtray

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Okay, looks like one screw is holding my ashtray in, then I can remove it and finally get to working on it where it actually works. I know at one point someone mentioned ball-bearings are used to guide the ashtray in and out.

Anybody have any feedback or tips? Am getting tired of using it as a place to hold nuts and bolts and plan on mounting the USB cable here for my new
retro radio.

Dents have a springy-tab to keep 'em from pulling all the way out
of the dash, don't know nuthin' about Bumps that way.

Why not just drill a hole in the dash for the connection?
And so save your bolt holder. :)
Later you can fill the hole with a carriage bolt, that's what I do. ;)

Alvin in AZ

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Dents have a springy-tab to keep 'em from pulling all the way out
of the dash, don't know nuthin' about Bumps that way.

Why not just drill a hole in the dash for the connection?
And so save your bolt holder. :)
Later you can fill the hole with a carriage bolt, that's what I do. ;)

Alvin in AZ

That is definitely an option I will consider Alvin...

But that ashtray sticking out like that is driving me nuts... I have been wanting to get that fixed for a long while...

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
4) 354872-S .. Ash Receptacle Slide Steel Ball / Obsolete

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has 428 = 800-543-4959.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^When I needed some, I put a caliper on the ones I had, then went to the local industrial supply distributor, told them I needed some steel balls, picked up 4 one size smaller, 4 the size I measured and 4 one size bigger for under $5. I decided I liked the smallest size best.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
^^^When I needed some, I put a caliper on the ones I had, then went to the local industrial supply distributor, told them I needed some steel balls, picked up 4 one size smaller, 4 the size I measured and 4 one size bigger for under $5. I decided I liked the smallest size best.

They didn't tell you that was a personal problem when you asked for steel balls?

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
I know I have seen it somewhere, but could somebody guide me in the direction of documentation that will enable me to fix my ashtray using the ball bearings???

There is a smile in it for you.

I know I have seen it somewhere, but could somebody guide me in the direction
of documentation that will enable me to fix my ashtray using the ball bearings???
There is a smile in it for you.
Wow that will be, like, so worth it 'cause you're such a sweet little cutie-pie! :)

Have you managed to get the tray out of the truck yet? :/

Alvin in AZ
ps- The balls are 3/8" (.375").

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Wow that will be, like, so worth it 'cause you're such a sweet little cutie-pie! :)

Have you managed to get the tray out of the truck yet? :/

Alvin in AZ
ps- The balls are 3/8" (.375").

ALVIN!!!!!!!

Not yet, not a real high priority, as I don't smoke, but was planning on removing it and refurbishing it so I could mount the USB cable for my new retro stereo in there.

Your balls may be 3/8", but mine....

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Okay, I have the ashtray out. Does anyone have suggestions for getting it operable again once I have the ball bearings?

Your Pal,
Steven

Ford Truck Articles