Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Boat

Old 05-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Flatheads Forever

mtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond repute
Help me understand

I have a '92 Larson 20' boat that we've owned for nearly 10 years.

Clearly marked and advertised in the owners manual and on the engine cover as "Mercruiser Marine 5.7L"

Have had the oil changed by pros in the past, but just changed the oil myself and when finding the right oil filter, came to the shocking realization this is powered by a 350 Chevy!!! Cylinder numbering verifies it...

I always thot Mercruiser meant Mercury Division but obviously not. Seriously p-o'd at the moment.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Mercrusier used a lot of GM engines. 454, 350, 4.3, the 2.5 "iron duke" all saw marine service under the Mercursier brand

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 AM
kiwi f150

kiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond repute
The good thing about it Tim , is when it dies it will be cheap to replace ...... always got to be a silver lining somewhere

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh*t by the clean end."

Old 05-19-2017, 03:26 AM
Flatheads Forever

mtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond repute
I just somehow feel violated....
Old 05-20-2017, 01:51 AM
kiwi f150

kiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond repute
That last trip that my mate and i did over to CA , we brought a 18ft jet boat sight unseen for $300. Dale is a die hard gm fan and was so excited to hear that it was a 5.0 , he forgot to ask the owner what the engine actually was. When we got up to Grass valley to collect it , the look on his face was priceless as he lifted the engine cover and was confronted with the front mounted distributor version of a 5.0 ....... that got me a couple of beers

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh*t by the clean end."

Old 05-20-2017, 07:23 AM
Flatheads Forever

haha - so it goes both ways, eh?

My first tip was the oil filter x-referenced for OMC or GM. Then home to find the dist on the wrong end and last saw the cylinder numbers on the intake manifold as 1-3-5-7 on the left side....

Oh well, it goes thru the water well enough - might as well keep it.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Didn't the "5.7" sound a bell when you were looking at the boat? But on the flipside, it's a Chevy, and parts for SBC's are the most inexpensive new/rebuilt parts to be had, so it's not all bad.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 05-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Flatheads Forever

It only has 435 hours on the engine and much of that is under load pulling wake-boarders.

The engine runs great, power is also great. Yes, someday it will be cheap to rebuild.

5.7 - that's a 351 Windsor where I come from