Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

84 Flareside

primetime

sawmill slave
Welp, I bought me a new play toy Friday. It`s an 84 F-150 Flareside 4x4. It`s got the tower of power under the hood, a c-6, and some rust. And a bordello interior.:D I drove it home for $400 bucks.

SANY03542.JPG

SANY03553.JPG

I improved the looks 100%. Sorry for the crappy night pic, it`s been a busy day.

SANY03563.JPG

Picked this up this evening.

SANY03571.JPG

I have a 4 inch lift that I snagged off a truck I bought for scrap several years ago that I`m going to throw at it along with some half wore out 35x15.5 Super Swampers, and a factory limited slip TTB 3rd member. The rear end is gonna get a bunch of 6011.

It needs cab corners, I happen to have two sets, so I`ll change em, and I`ll probably buy floor pans for it. Not so much because I want it to be perfect, but for the practise. The heater core decided life wasn`t worth liveing anymore on the way home the other night, the turn signals are not working, and the radio isn`t all it could be. Hey, gotta have tunes.

This is a $400 4x4 that I intend to use to get back to haveing fun off road with. I haven`t had one in several years, and I miss it. I have a lot of parts for a truck like this that I have been wanting to use, and I plan on getting muddy this spring.

Oh, and for some reason my pictures seem to be doubleing up in my gallery. I don`t know why. I don`t think I`m doing anything different than I`ve ever done. Any body have a suggestion?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool Justin...no idea on the gallery.

primetime

sawmill slave
Time for a minor update. Turns out it had a minor charging issue, as in it didn`t, lol. I found and fixed a bunch of crappy corroded wiring fixes, problem still not solved, but at least now the turn signals worked! So what`s the answer?

3g baby!

SANY03543.JPG

I grabbed a 130 amp unit off a 98 3.0 Sable at the junk yard this morning. So far so good. Then I went down to the starter/battery guy to have it tested and the pulley swapped. That`s where the problems started. The alternator tested good. Time to swap pulleys. I had grabbed a 5/8 washer out of my stash for a shim in case I needed it.

Well, it wouldn`t fit the alternator (o.d. to big). Luckily this guy has been around 30 years and has a stash of stuff. He kept telling me this isn`t going to work, but I said it`ll be fine, the internet said so! Sure enough it almost doesn`t work. We ended up useing a shim washer off a GM cs130 behind a new Ford v-belt sheave, and the nut still doesn`t seat all the way. The threaded shaft does not poke through the nut, so I staked the shaft. I wanted to take a picture of this, but I was having issues with the camera.

So I get home, round up the stuff I need, jam the pivot bolt in, and sumbeotch if it won`t collapse enough to let me use the stock belts because the case of the alternator won`t clear the bracket. Out came the cut off wheel and I notched the bracket. Problem solved.

Carquest won`t have the mega fuse holder till Tuesday,and I need to come up with a 75 amp inline fuse for the cab feed, the magic smoke did`nt come out when I hooked up the battery, and it`s showing me 14.39 volts, so that`s something. At least I can start and move it around the yard.

I also got myself a chrome grill out of an 86 Lariat while I was at the yard, because sadly, my shagalicous tube grill is too rusted and ugly for me.

SANY03564.JPG

SANY03554.JPG

As much as I like the tube grill, I kinda thinks it looks better now. That nasty ass bumper is next. I also have the stuff to weld the rear end, just havent had the time.

primetime

sawmill slave
I put in a few hours at the mill today, and what with the time change and warmer temps we are having, I decided the rear end was getting welded up. Might even throw the special front bumper on it. So I got busy. I got so busy that I didn`t take any pictures of the welded up diff like I was going to. Oh well. I did give it some bling though! Lol.

SANY03555.JPG

So gotta test it out, right??

SANY03544.JPG

That`s my uncles field. I was sitting in the driveway warming it up and thought I should take a blast through the field, there isn`t THAT much snow. Nah, I told myself, this thing has lousy tires. Well I made it to his driveway and decided what the heck. I made it 50 feet. lol. The snow is a lot deeper then I thought.

So I went and got the big pig, plowed a path to it, and my uncle came up to pilot one of the trucks. He laughed, I laughed, the wifey freaked out, it was a good time. Of course, this also answered the question of whether or not it will go up to the barn to collect the new to it front bumper and haul the torches up there to cut the lift kit off the axle it`s still attached to. Think I may have to wait for some snow to melt.

It`s probably a good time to start keeping score on getting it stuck.smilietease

And another pic, just because.smilieFordlogo

SANY03565.JPG

Oh, and I spotted a leaky left rear wheel cylinder, and brake lines on the rear axle that look BAD. Which explains the brake light being on, and the lack of rear brakes. Nice to have an idea at least. smilietease

primetime

sawmill slave
Fun times! Truck looks awesome(I miss my Gen.7!)
The lift kit on it will be cool!

You know it Roy! It is going to look awesome with the lift and 35`s, but me thinks there will be some fender trimming in my future.:wasntme:

primetime

sawmill slave
Oh the radius arms are going to rub, lol. I`m throwing 35x15.5s on this monster. Only a 4 inch lift also. I`m seriously thinking about building extended radius arms. I have a 20 foot stick of 1 inch id .188 wall tubing laying around.

Then I could ditch the radius arm drop brackets and make more room for the tires to turn.

primetime

sawmill slave
So I threw a front bumper on it.

SANY03556.JPG

SANY03545.JPG

SANY03572.JPG

This nonsense is really starting to bug me. It`s fine in the little picture, but if I click the medium one, I get this ^^. And if I click on the little doubled picture, it takes me to the really big picture. I don`t know. Frustrating though.

Anywho, this bumper has a history. About 15 years ago I got an 84 Bronco for parts. It had this bumper on it. It was kinda narrow though. My 87 F-150 needed a bumper, so I threw it on there.

Well last fall I finally scrapped the F-150 (heart breaking), and I was looking at this bumper and it just hit me that it was probably built for a Jeep CJ, and then put on a Ford. Well now I have the tools and skill to use them, so I`m going to improve it. And that means making it wider so it doesn`t look quite so silly on a fullsize Ford.

I snagged some steel out of my buddies junk yard this afternoon, but that picture is fubar to, lol. Anyways, I have a plan, we`ll see how it turns out.

CarQuest brought my mega fuse holder out to me, I still have to get that mounted, and I`m debating on whether I should get a 75 amp inline fuse for the main cab feed, or just leave hooked it up with the fusible link that I hooked up.

Oh, and since I got it stuck, it has developed an exhaust rattle (sounds like a broken hanger), and a brake squeal (front backing plate I`m sure). Good times. And I`m loving every minute of it! smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool bumper Justin!

Regarding the pics...there are only two sizes....I went and and looked in your gallery and I think the upload must have failed partway.

Ford Truck Articles