Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Sudden oil leak

03 Big Red

True Believer
NC
I posted this in the Modular forum yesterday. I hope you don't mind that I post it here as well.

It doesn't seem possible that an oil leak this serious can start so suddenly. Shortly after my truck turned over 300,000 miles I noticed a slight oil burning smell at startup. In almost no time it's progressed to the point where my undercarriage is covered in oil and I leave a cloud of smoke behind me for the first two miles I Drive every morning. It's coming from the rear of the engine so the obvious assumption is rear main seal. But, is it possible for a rear main seal leak to develop so quickly? I read something that said a malfunctioning EGR can cause high pressure which dislodges the oil pan gasket. That sounds pretty far-fetched but when I checked, my EGR hose was collapsed. Obviously, changing the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal is a big job. Is there a way to diagnose this oil leak so that I don't do the wrong repair.
Thanks for your help.

blacksnapon

Staff member
EGR no, PCV, quite possibly. I think I'd put some oil tracer dye in to pinpoint a leak. But check the pcv system.

03 Big Red

True Believer
NC
Sorry, I meant PCV. I replaced the collapsed hose and the valve seems free. Is there anything else I should check as far as the PCV system goes?

Ford Truck Articles