Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Axle Shaft Seal Replace?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I am going to change out my ball joints and would like to know if I really need to change this seal or can I reuse it. I have no problems with my 4WD. Thank yousmilieFordlogo
If you're talking about the one between the u-joint and the axle housing, no. There is a redesigned one that doesn't tear up quite as bad as the original. That one just keeps dirt and grit out of the housing. The one that seals the differential is right next to the gears (you have to take the diff out to replace it).

thanks blacksnapon...I'm gonna change the dust seal which I believe now has a metal cover?..but the seal I am talking about is the one that the 4WD vacuum works with. The one you would need that special tool to install and then to seat it back in the axle.

blacksnapon

Staff member
thanks blacksnapon...I'm gonna change the dust seal which I believe now has a metal cover?..but the seal I am talking about is the one that the 4WD vacuum works with. The one you would need that special tool to install and then to seat it back in the axle.
Generally, you destroy them getting them out, so, yes they will need replaced.

Ford Truck Articles