Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2004 F150 Climate Control Issue

Ok Guys,
Have a F150 2004 Lariat 5.4 Triton Crew Cab with Electronic/Auto Climate control (digitally displayed). Problem I'm having is it sounds like there is a vent door that is continuously opening and closing in the upper dash area near windshield in front of the steering wheel. When I turn the the system on the fan works but will cycle on and off ever 3 seconds or so. Have swapped out relays to check and didn't help, thinking either there might be something blocking the vent door from closing (or opening fully) so it's disabling the system, or that the controller is buggered. I've heard that there have been issues with foam etc. blocking vents and not allowing hot or cool air, but I would tend to think it would be something more electronic than mechanical given the symptoms.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

Steve

blacksnapon

Staff member
To enter the self-test press the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within two seconds. The display will show a flashing blower icon for 20 seconds, after which all vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no on-demand DTCs present. If DTCs are present the EATC module will display "00 00" and then on-demand DTCs. Record all DTCs displayed.
With dtcs, we have more information to go on.

Thanks,
Tried to the Self test but no luck, pressed both defrost buttons and the off button and released and the the Auto button but system displayed the temp and AC icon just like i was just turning it on. It still is flashing on and off every 3 seconds or so as the vent door is opening and closing and you can here the relay cycling as well. This controller has the rounded fan and climate (Blue/Red) buttons at each end split as semi circles just to make sure we're talking about same unit.
Thanks again for the quick response!
Let me know if any other idea's. Gonna be getting cold up here in the north east soon

S

Hey Guys,
Just checking in to see if anyone came up with any other ideas on this issue. I will obviously need to go to the dealer if not, but would hate to have it be something simply or something that could be DYI'ed. I can rip the dash apart if needed, if dealer has to do it I know I'm in for a large bill!

Thanks again and thanks blacksnapon for his speedy first response!

Steve

Ford Truck Articles