Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1990 F-250

Codys005.jpg

Codys002.jpg

Codys006.jpg

The C6 will have 1 2 D for the gear selector, and the E4OD will have 1 2 OD or a D in a circle fo the gear selector. IIRC

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I would say look at the pan but they are almost identical except the E4OD has a hump toward the ground in the pan...

Yes,but the E4OD Transmission pan is a little bit longer than the C6...

TransIDChart.JPG

Cody,if you still can't figure it out when you get the truck,take a picture of the tranny pan and post it up.BTW,with my C6,when it gets low on fluid,it doesn't like to go into gear.But when I top it off with fluid,it seems to shift just fine.C6's are finicky little transmissions.

:Edit: You can also tell the transmission by the number of bolts that hold the pan on.

The C6 will have 1 2 D for the gear selector, and the E4OD will have 1 2 OD or a D in a circle fo the gear selector. IIRC

Yes,but the E4OD Transmission pan is a little bit longer than the C6...

TransIDChart.JPG

Cody,if you still can't figure it out when you get the truck,take a picture of the tranny pan and post it up.BTW,with my C6,when it gets low on fluid,it doesn't like to go into gear.But when I top it off with fluid,it seems to shift just fine.C6's are finicky little transmissions.

:Edit: You can also tell the transmission by the number of bolts that hold the pan on.

Ya, i see now that the trans is a E40D... Can i still put a AOD in?

Thanks for all the info!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yessir you can. They offered an AOD for that engine-- that's all that matters. Just gotta find one with that bellhousing.

Jr said:
gonna need a driveshaft made for it....
Correct. If the length of the AOD is a lot less than the E4OD, and I think it is, you'll need to have your driveshaft lengthened or buy a new one altogether.

gonna need a driveshaft made for it....
Okay.
Yessir you can. They offered an AOD for that engine-- that's all that matters. Just gotta find one with that bellhousing.

Correct. If the length of the AOD is a lot less than the E4OD, and I think it is, you'll need to have your driveshaft lengthened or buy a new one altogether.

Okay, i will be putting one in then...or maybe i will try to find another E40D...

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I personally hate the AOD's.I haven't seen many last too long.To me,they're kinda like the crappy solenoids from the parts store.There are a select few good AOD's,like the one in your 85,and the rest are crap.But that's just my opinion.

Sounds like your gonna be under this truck for a little while Cody.lol.Good luck with it man.

Ford Truck Articles