Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

TPS is screwed up on my 351W

Last week I took the throttle body off of my 89' E350 (5.7/351) to do the once a year cleaning with TB cleaner. I think I screwed up the TPS (ok I know I screwed it up). The engine is now running extremely rich and is blowing out black smoke on idle, runs good other than at idle. Also has a rough idle, especially when hot.
How do I fix this,, does the TPS have an adjustment?? thanks for any help you can give..ron:beer:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
The TPS has to be adjusted. Not sure if the TPS voltage for that engine is the same as the on rangers but it should be set at .5 volts to adjust loosen the screws and rotate the TPS while probing the voltage till it is at .5 volts.
If I'm incorrect on this I'm sure one of the others will set it straight and giv3e me grief.

Is this the problem?

I got to thinking about this and is the TPS making the engine run rich or could there be something else that I screwed up?? I checked all the vaccum hoses and they are fine and also installed a new EGR valve a couple of months ago...thanks for the help.. ron

Check your fuel pressure, and remove the vacuum line for the FPR and look for fuel, if you find any the FPR is blown and needs to be replaced. Fuel pressure should be about 32psi with vacuuum and 42-45psi without.

Paul, thanks for the help so far....

I have another question for you. I tried pulling the fault codes and it shows that the EEC is bad (my check engine light is missing so I used a continuity light to pull the codes). Im going to pull the plug on the EEC and make sure when I put it back together (when I installed the rebuilt motor) that I didnt bend a pin or screw up something there. I hope that the EEC is not bad, cause a new one aint cheap ($324 at NAPA). I guess I could search the junk yards, but dont have time to do that. Any suggestions?? thanks ron

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well the dead giveaway would be to think about when the problem started. First you said it started after trying to clean the throttle body. Did it start then? Or did it start after you plugged the computer back in?

Yes, started with the TB cleaning

I didnt notice any problems until I cleaned the Throttle body. I checked codes this morning and found that the EEC light stays steady when doing the self check. It nevers gives the blink,blink,blink ok sign.
Maybe coincidence but the running rich didnt start until I cleaned the TB. So, let me try adjusting the TPS first and if that doesnt do it Ill figure out what to do with the EEC. thanks for the help.... ron:wavey:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts