Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Engine gremlins!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hello everyone! I was just going to see what y'all thought about this.
My newly rebuilt 302 has about 2,000 miles on the engine, I've started noticing this slight ticking noise that has now turned in to a metallic clack.
The sound keeps up with the rev of the engine but so far there are no back fires or timing jumps, the engine idles smoothly and uses little to no oil. I took it back to the guys who built my engine and they said- well 900 bucks and we will be able to find it.. The only thing I've done to the engine since the rebuild was installed a Proform HEI.. Could this just be a lifter? or maybe a cam lobe? this is my daily driver so I can't really preform open heart surgery on her.. Any ideas or thoughts would be awesome, thank you very much :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Lets start with the super basic stuff, don't be offended if I'm insulting your intelligence, lol. What weight oil are you using? Are you sure you've got it filled to the proper amount?

Stuff like this is almost always in the valvetrain, I'd be surprised if it was cam lobe. Lifter sounds like a pretty good guess.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Things tend to loosen up on a new engine after it's broken in. Start by pulling the drivers side valvecover (if you feel up to it) and checking to see if the rockers are torqued to spec. Same deal with the passenger, although depending on the year you may have to remove the upper intake.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Welcome to the board.

Lots of possibilities. Try using a stethoscope to zero in on the location of the problem. Upper end - valve train or piston? Which side? front or back? That'll shorten your search.

If you don't have access to a stethoscope and probe, a long handled screw driver will work - place your ear on the handle end as you poke around. Eventually you'll hear where the noise is coming from.

I'd bet on a lifter......... check the push rod too when you decide which it is. I had one once collapse the ball on the end.

Last edited:
It could even be something exhaust pop from where the manifold meets the head.

Every rocker should have oil coming out of it as well while engine running

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Lets start with the super basic stuff, don't be offended if I'm insulting your intelligence, lol. What weight oil are you using? Are you sure you've got it filled to the proper amount?

Stuff like this is almost always in the valvetrain, I'd be surprised if it was cam lobe. Lifter sounds like a pretty good guess.

None taken I should have listed that very sorry.
After the break in I started using RP 1030 and yes levels are checked every time I go for a drive no matter how far.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Things tend to loosen up on a new engine after it's broken in. Start by pulling the drivers side valvecover (if you feel up to it) and checking to see if the rockers are torqued to spec. Same deal with the passenger, although depending on the year you may have to remove the upper intake.
I've all ready done this I have a scope and have tracked it down to the passenger side but I cant zero in on the sound sounds like its coming from the whole side. I have railed type rockers and they where to specs and lash felt fine.

I cranked the engine over about 3 times and all the rockers oiled good.
And header gaskets are good I took off the headers and checked every thing, every thing seemed fine replaced gaskets put back to specs every thing on the out side seems great. And the sound only is heard once the engine is warmed...
Very sorry for not posting this in the first place..:(

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I've all ready done this I have a scope and have tracked it down to the passenger side but I cant zero in on the sound sounds like its coming from the whole side. I have railed type rockers and they where to specs and lash felt fine.

I cranked the engine over about 3 times and all the rockers oiled good.
And header gaskets are good I took off the headers and checked every thing, every thing seemed fine replaced gaskets put back to specs every thing on the out side seems great. And the sound only is heard once the engine is warmed...
Very sorry for not posting this in the first place..:(

Any thoughts?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Do your valve springs have dampers? I have had a valve spring damper break and make a similar noise.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
thanks guys so much for your help but i'm to the point I guess i'm going to have to replace the whole valve train aand the cam lifters and pushrods... I can't figure it out and a guy at the auto parts story who is a ford mechanic said I have no idea what it could be sounds like a lifter but the ungodly noise its making this thing shouldn't even be running... I was looking at this what do yall think about this? http://www.jegs.com/i/Crane/270/44746-16/10002/-1
And how high of a lift on a cam can I go with out slamming a valve in to a piston?? Any thoughts would be great thanks guys so man.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts