Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

168,000 Ex has started Puking

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I have 168,000 miles on the Ex. It has started puking and I hear a tea kettle sound. I beleive it is the EGR cooler.

It started after I towed my new tractor. 47 hp tractor on 18' trailer. Probably around 12K.

It had very little Puking. I have since driven 700 miles from Louisiana to Oklahoma for work. I noticed on the trip up that the engine fan stayed on alot. Way more than ever before.

I have owned the Ex for about 100K. As far as I know the Egr or oil cooler has never been replaced. It has only been in the shop for an Oil leak around 80k.

Do I need to plan on replacing the head gaskets too?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
When I had the bed plate gasket fixed a while back on mine, they had to pull the engine...I figured at that time that the head gaskets/bolts and EGR delete were the way to go.
I have been beyond happy since that fix...the dealership sold me an H&S tuner which reprogrammed the ecm and got rid of the cel.
I have picked up 2.5 mpg on the lowest setting.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I know I can fix this myself. I'm leaning toward pulling the engine. If I do I will replace the oil cooler, delete the egr cooler, have the heads checked and re worked, oem gaskets, ARP studs, new degass bottle, New oil pumps, new water pump, rod and main bearings, injectors, possibly new turbo.

blacksnapon

Staff member
remember, this is still good!

coupon.jpg

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Vince I would love to bring it to you. I just dont know if my pockets are that deep.

Besides I would want studs and an EGR delete. I dont think you do those.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
What kind of prices would I be looking at? I know it would need oil and egr cooler. While we was there I would want gaskets and studs. I would probably want to replace the injectors. I can supply them. I would want higher flow injectors.

Down time isn't a problem. I can drive my jeep untill it is fixed.

Ford Truck Articles