Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

shutting off

so now my truck is shutting off. it will randomly shut off now in drive. it shuts off every time i shift into reverse. i changed the egr, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter. and i checked the fuel pressure today and it was about 33-35 psi

so what else could be my problem. could the fuel pump cause all this? since i was told it was the EGR and fuel pump.

it idle really rough, really sluggish off the start while it surges then at higher speed it will smooth out then it will start surging again occasionally.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Sounds to me like a malfunctioning IAC motor.

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry for all questions but will a bad IAC make it act like it miss firing as well as smelling like it's running too rich??

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
It might very well be the IAC. This valve is in charge of regulating the amount of air that is able to bypass the throttle plates when your truck is idling. With the throttle plates being in (or near) the closed position at an idle, your engine would choke with something to allow a bypass.

Any other drivability issues besides the random dying? Any trouble codes being thrown?

No other drivability issues. At higher speeds there seems alot more power. But slow speeds it's terrible and acts like it wants to shut off. I have a steep driveway and struggles hard going up!!

The codes my mechanic told me were for the EGR and fuel pump. So I changed the EGR, fuel pressure regulator and also the fuel filter. And I have dual tanks and it runs the same on both tanks so I'm thinking that it isn't a bad fuel pump. Cuz I'm pretty sure both pumps are inside the tanks right??

It might very well be the IAC. This valve is in charge of regulating the amount of air that is able to bypass the throttle plates when your truck is idling. With the throttle plates being in (or near) the closed position at an idle, your engine would choke with something to allow a bypass.

Any other drivability issues besides the random dying? Any trouble codes being thrown?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Basics should be covered. Timing (is it in time?) Coolant (is it full? Is it overheating? Does it "THINK" its overheating? Vacuum leaks (do you have good power brakes?) Is it misfiring? Bad grounds, low battery voltage(especially with fuel injection). All of these will affect idle speed in one form or another.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Have you ran it with the fuel pressure gauges hooked up while driving it.
Does this truck have low pressure pumps in the tank and a high pressure in the frame.
If so the high pressure pump may be dropping pressure.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I believe you said it's a 94 or 95 right? If so-- only 2 pumps, 1 in each tank. If it runs the same on both tanks then fuel pump is not the issue.

I believe you said it's a 94 or 95 right? If so-- only 2 pumps, 1 in each tank. If it runs the same on both tanks then fuel pump is not the issue.

Yea its a 95. Fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and EGR are all brand new. I'm taking it to the mechanic tomorrow too much headache for me. Thanks for the help!!!

tboss619

tboss619
dd you solve the rough running problem ,,

If so can you pls explain wt they did to repair it..mine is doing the same thing. realize this is an old thread but Im abt ready to shoot the truck and pronounce dead on arrival..tks terry you can also email me at .:guns:

Last edited by a moderator:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hey tboss, welcome to FTF, hopefully the op will respond. I am going to remove your email though as the Google Bots will pick it up and you will be spammed big time :)

If so can you pls explain wt they did to repair it..mine is doing the same thing. realize this is an old thread but Im abt ready to shoot the truck and pronounce dead on arrival..tks terry you can also email me at .:guns:

so i tried a bunch of things with no success what ended up fixing it was trading it in and getting another truck sorry to tell you this. could just end up being something internal. what year is your rig? and its the 460 as well?

Ford Truck Articles