Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

92 F-150 Thermostat Swop-out - burping

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
So, I'm changing out the thermostat/radiator cap and water pump on my truck now that it's performing like a champion again (new transmission, 132K mile straight 6 4.9L). Thermostat is a 195 per factory original, I'm up north it doesn't get hot quickly here, no need to have a lower threshold.

I've been told I can swop out the thermostat and watch the truck run up to temperature after the install at idle for about 20-30 mins with the cap on, then turn it off and let it cool. Come back (several hours later) to open the cap, watch it suck the radiator coolant down, then top it off creating an effective burp.

Is this enough or do I need to do more/something different after the new thermostat and cap are installed?

Also, any tips on the water pump r2? I didn't ask any pro tips from the auto parts guys on that one. Couldn't beat the $49 total on all these parts, mx lube plus some body screws vs $179 at the mechanic shop.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts