Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Straight-up timing set for a 400

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
This has probably been asked several times before, but...............

I would like to replace the timing set on my '78 400 to straight up timing.

What is involved(in layman's terms) other than replacing the timing chain and gear? Do I need to recurve the distributor?

I haven't done this before, but would like to try it. The engine is rebuilt with about 25,000 miles. I should have had this done when the engine was rebuilt,
but at the time, I didn't know about this process.

If you can just reference a previous post listing the steps, that would work, too. Thank you.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Gonna bump this one to see if I can get some much needed professional advice(except the people that advise dumping it for a 460 - :D)

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I've never heard that it is necessary to re-set the timing. I think it would have come to light before now.

I haven't done it - but have a timing gear and assorted goodies for the 400 in the shop. It's on my list of to-do's....and I'm a fan of keeping the 400 : )

With the dist up front I think you could adjust it as req'd by turning the body. Let us know how it goes.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks Tim. What I'm looking for is a procedure to replace the original timing set with a timing set that changes the mounting from 4 deg retarded to 0 deg. The ones I have seen have three keyways. I've never done this before and I am basically clueless.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Doug for straight up timing you will line up the gears as shown below...

timing_gears_001.JPG

Now the crank gear has the 3 notches as you indicated..you will use the notch that has the dot..line this dot up with the cam gear in the position ive shown...that is straight up timing..

timing_gears_002.JPG

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
He shouldn't on a stock build - unless he bumps the compression up by shaving the heads or using flat top pistons.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I found a detailed description from Ben(circa 2009) about changing the timing chain! Ben, what else did you do, or was your crank gear already set at 0 deg retardation? Nice writeup!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you, Bob. I don't know if I'm going to do this. I've been reading(internet) and am getting conflicting stories on what all needs to be done.

It can't be as easy as just changing the timing gear set and chain, assuming everything is lined up (cam and crank), or can it?

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Yes Doug..it is as easy as just changing the timing gears...from a retarded setting to straight setting up really wakes these engines up...It all can be done in a good days work...smilieFordlogo

More power, and bigger grin when you plant your right foot...

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Ford Truck Articles