Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5.0L to 5.8L

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Whats needed? Got another project, and this is what id like to do.

engine computer i believe.. thats about it i think

Depends on the truck, if it's mass air you don't even need a computer just a complete 5.8EFI and the correct flywheel/flexplate to match whatever tranny it has.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Its a 90 F150 5.0 SD with AOD. I know the 5.8 is wider, dont i need different motor mounts, the 5.8 intake, and exhaust and what not.

I would think you need a 5.8L computer along with the intake. Also a new Y-pipe for the exhaust since the 5.8 is wider. motor mounts may interchange but i am not sure. Have you sourced a 5.8L yet?

Last edited:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
No, havent started lookin yet. I think the 5.8 swap is the best way, unless I do another HO swap. I do like the way the bronk runs, tho my pritty much stock 5.8L still has more power.

You need a complete 5.8efi motor there isn't much from the 5.0 that will transfer. The 5.0 Y-pipe can be widened to fit the 5.8 pretty easily but you'll need a 5.8 computer from a truck with a C6 or manual trans.

The 5.0 Y-pipe can be widened to fit the 5.8 pretty easily but you'll need a 5.8 computer from a truck with a C6 or manual trans.

Why does he have to change out the AOD? the bellhousings are the same and the AOD is not controlled by the computer. It may not last as long from the additional torque but it should last for a while anyway.

Fellro

Staff member
A quick note... motor mounts are the same between the motors, as that part of the block is the same, it is because of the taller deck height that the exhaust is different. I used 302 mounts on the 351W I put in a 79 Mustang... The intake should be with the motor, if not, you will have to find one, as the runners are set up different a bit.

Why does he have to change out the AOD? .
I never said anything about changing out the trans where did you get that idea? I had a 5.8 in my truck with an AOD for 8 years and it's still going so I know it works.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Humm that stinks, maybe ill have to do another HO swap.

Why does he need a computer swap?
A Speed Density computer can't handle the change in displacement?

I've got a '90 F250 5.8+ZF SD computer, not sure if I'll ever need it.

Plan to use the '89 Mustang MAF A9P computer at some point.
Bought a '93 Crown Vic MAF sensor, hope it works with the '89 MAF
computer. LOL :)

Alvin in AZ

because the 90 302 has a different firing order than the 351.
No that's got nothing to do with it, a 302 SD computer is programmed to run a 302, a bigger motor has different requirements and the computer has no way of knowing what they are. The mass air system measures actual air intake volume so more engine displacement isn't much different than adding a big cam to a 302, the computer sees the change and can adjust fuel requirements accordingly.

Last edited:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea, id like to do the 5.8 swap, but if I have to get a complete 1, around here its gonna have 100K+ miles on it. I got my 302ho long block with 50k on it for 300 bucks.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Goin to look at a 96 F250 5.8L auto that was wrecked. Motor and trans are rebuilt with 40K

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts