Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shorten exhaust?

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
What would be the best way to cut my exhaust to shorten it?

I'm thinking to cut it at a 45 degree cut downwards. Upwards would trap water/dirt/mud when I wash and/or track it from the wheel. A straight cut.

My single exhaust tail pipe follows the outside passenger chassis and curves 90 degrees to the side behind the rear mudflap. I would want to cut it before the bend to use that space for a new toolbox I would like to weld there. Also the hot tailpipe melts my rubbber mudflp when the wind pushes it back against the tailpipe.

Tyl

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You could buy a turndown tip and turn the pipe towards the ground. That'll help keep debris out and it gives it a little more grumble from the exhaust reverberating off the ground :)

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
Thanks guys, I apreciate your thoughts. I don't really want to buy anymore "tubing"/ pipe. I would like to turn it to a dual exhaust, in the long run. But will ask around for pipes.

When converting a single exhaust to a dual, is it only a matter of matter of cutting a new hole in the y pipe and building a new exhaust with muffler? Or changing the whole thing from the Y pipe?

Tyl

Tyl, I don't know if it will fit, but Ford had a factory dual setup for the 391 that I used when I re powered my '72 F600 from a 330.

i think the part Chris is talking about is about a $3.00 part at Auto Zone...clamp on.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Thanks guys, I apreciate your thoughts. I don't really want to buy anymore "tubing"/ pipe. I would like to turn it to a dual exhaust, in the long run. But will ask around for pipes.

When converting a single exhaust to a dual, is it only a matter of matter of cutting a new hole in the y pipe and building a new exhaust with muffler? Or changing the whole thing from the Y pipe?

Tyl

I would go from the manifolds back with duals get rid of the ypipe.... If you installed headers it would be easier could fab up your own system.

There is both dual and TRUE dual

On True dual like on my truck the exhaust runs straight out and down the side joined by an H-pipe before the mufflers.

On the other dual,after the cross over pipe the pipe splits off to each side.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Like Dennis mentioned, if you're going to run true duals, make sure to use a crossover pipe (X or H pipe) to equalize the exhaust pressure between the two sides of the engine.

Shamus

Defector Fidèle
Another popular way of getting duals out the back is to swap to a new muffler with a single inlet and dual outlets. The two exhaust pipes then dump out the back with about the same pressure.

Ford Truck Articles