Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

No start no noise

1995 f150 5.8l

Truck all the sudden would t start coming home. Absolutely no noise. Gauges power and fuel pump kicks on. I was able to start it at the fender mounted starter relay. Got home and I cycled it back on and it started right back up.

I'm thinking starter is going bad and got stuck on a bad spot...?

Could be your ignition switch is going bad

It hasn't happened again, I'm assuming it was the park theory. Especially because I replaced the cluster and had to move the shifting cable.
Thanks!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Will it start with the shift indicator in neutral?(Neutral Safety Switch)

If the shift indicator doesn't match up with the pointer on the dash, that is an indication that the adjustment was changed, and needs to be readjusted. I replaced the turn signal switch on an '89 ford, and in doing so I somehow changed the position of the shifter relative to the pointer.

primetime

sawmill slave
Check all the connections between the starter and battery, but also down the trans at the manual lever position sensor, (MLPS), neutral safety switch on older stuff.

The way these trucks (92-96/7) work is the they have full battery voltage at the starter, and the fender mounted starter relay. The key switch, thru the MLPS, tells the fender mounted relay, to tell the starter mounted relay to engage.

If you can jump the relay on the fender (solenoid), and it starts, then it is`nt a mechanical issue (starter), it`s a wiring/connection issue.

It`s a twenty year old truck, I would replace the wiring between the battery and the starter, as I can afford. But that`s just me.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Tilt wheel?
Try changing the angle next time.
My bet, ignition switch

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I replaced the wires between starter and battery about a year ago. This did happen again and I played with the shifter and then it started, it definitely has some slop to it.

Thanks!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
look under from the floor mat, there are 2 torqs screws at the end of the shifter.
Tighten these, and it will solve your problem, and the future problem of not being able to get it in park

These 2 bolts suck to get too

Ford Truck Articles